Race Handicap Rating

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Cathyalan

Race Handicap Rating

Post by Cathyalan »

We will be entering a point to point race on Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin in late June. We can't officially "race" unless we have a PHRF rating or a Portsmouth rating. I can't find either rating for a Telstar. Does anybody know what the handicap rating for a Telstar may be? The Corsair has a PHRF rating of 30.

Alan
Cathyalan
Cathy & Alan #313
Ron

Race Handicap Rating

Post by Ron »

Alan -

Every PHRF region is different. In Southwest Florida mine is 180 non-spinnaker and 156 with the asymetrical or screecher. This is for any race going around a windward-leeward closed course. Offshore or a reach and they gave me a 177 and 153. These numbers are all in my favor, but I don't race PHRF too often because they normally won't let us race with the monohulls. We (multihulls) need our own class with at least 3 or 5 other boats racing, and most of the guys do not like to race with the monohulls (who don't like us). I didn't even bother to join the sailing club last year. The multihull club I joined (Charlotte Harbor Multihull Association) does not use PHRF. They have their own time-on-time system, not time-on-distance like PHRF. My rating is something like 0.87, meaning that my total time is multiplied by 0.87 to get a corrected time. A Corsair 27 has something like 0.93 on average. Quickest boat this year was a Corsair Sprint 750 rated at about 0.95.

if you race PHRF, the exact number is not really important. It's the numerical difference between your rating and the competition that matters. 30 sounds like a Corsair 24. The faster ones are negative - meaning minus 30 seconds or so. I once crewed on a Santa Cruz 72 on the Cheapeake which was rated something like minus 1 minute 30 seconds. It was beaten by 2 very quick F31's in Key West a few years ago, and they (the Corsairs) were never allowed back.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"