So, what is a Telstar 28 worth now a days?

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

Base price of the deluxe boat was around $89,900 in 2007. Strip some equipment off and $83,000 could be possible. But options could have easily pushed the price up to $100K. The Honda 50 alone was around $5,000 more. Add some mylar sails, the screecher, spinnaker, canvas, refrigetrator, autopilot, stereo, etc. and you're easily there. I didn't get the 50hp motor and still paid well over $90,000.

Also take into account than multihulls tend to hold their value. Good Corsair's or Dragonfly's are never cheap.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jwood1

Post by Jwood1 »

Thanks Ron, that resets my calibration a bit. I know you've written a lot about upgrading the trailer with disc brakes, and that is something I will probably want to do as I plan to do a lot of towing. What do you think a ballpark figure is to do the important upgrades?

Jerry
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Jerry, If it makes you feel any better in 1975ish I was quoted a price for a 26 Telstar of between 17-24,000 depending on model. My first house that I bought instead of the boat only cost me 18,000. Moving ahead to todays prices, a 28 Telstar only costs about 1/4 of what the average house in New Jersey costs. Also keep in mind that the 26 Telstars if you can find one in America for sale are usually selling for the same or more than what they cost new in 75.What I find interesting is that app. 1 year ago alot of Telstars were in the 50-60,000 range. All of a sudden you can't find one in that price range since no new boats are being built. Economics 101. When new boats start appearing on the market prices will drop. Good luck with your search. Graham
Ron

Post by Ron »

Graham -

From some of the pictures I've seen, some of the boats selling in the 60K range were not exactly in perfect shape. Some of them were the "standard" model as well - meaning a cheaper interior, no mast raising system or bow sprit, maybe a Honda 9.9 (or less), etc. The standard version cost something like $25,000 to $30,000 less than the "deluxe". You get what you pay for.
Ron Marcuse
Graham

Post by Graham »

True, there were deluxe and standard boats and it was confusing trying to figure out what that meant. I think the mast raising system was on all the boats after 306? From what I understand my boat was stoppped in mid production because Tony had come up with the mast raising system and wanted to include it on all of the boats? Too many stories and not enough facts. Anyway when it comes down to it you can wait for the perfect deal and miss hours of great sailing or jump in and have the time of your life with the Telstar. BTW, I believe that the 2 Telstars that went to Nevada are still available, and what ever happened to the burnt out Telstar that was bought on ebay?
Dan

Post by Dan »

What did Tony change on the centerboard???
trashpad wrote:I have the same info as you. I was at the factory a few months ago and saw Tony's new centerboard design. I do not know if he has floated the boat yet.

Well if we have 20 prospective buyers here I know where I will post the "For Sale" sign at.

KK
Jwood1

Post by Jwood1 »

Graham wrote:......BTW, I believe that the 2 Telstars that went to Nevada are still available, and what ever happened to the burnt out Telstar that was bought on ebay?
Which 2 Telstars are you referring to in Nevada? Do you have a link?

thanks
Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

They are both project boats - 2 of the first 9 or 10 that he finally sold for whatever he could get for them. All would need a lot of work to make them sea worthy, and they come with absolutely no guarentee at all, and no papers. I recall that he would not even issue a builders certificate on them. Graham would know more. One of the two could be the "light-weight" with the resin infused main hull. It was an experiment (maybe a failure?).

I've got the 1st boat with the 2nd of maybe 3 different center boards, assuming there is a 3rd on the new Alaska boat. It has a decent foil shape and draws maybe 1 foot more. If there is a 3rd, it's got to have more lift and a still better shape. He was thinking of doing something like that. Out on the west coast he could probably use a board with 8 feet of draft even. There's nothing to hit.
Ron Marcuse
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

@ Dan

Let me look around, I took a photo of it. If I remember it was tapered from the top to the base. Something about less wetted area with a better foil shape. He also changed the layout of the board above the pivot point to have more area for a stiffer setup.
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

After I broke 2 of the old centerboards (victims of the steep chop and 25-30Kt winds we get almost daily here in South SF Bay), Tony redesigned the centerboard and made it heavier and thicker with a lot more glass on it than previous model. He told me to still only lower it 1/2 way in the really choppy stuff.. clearly a weak point if you sail in choppy seas.. . Not sure if the new one is the same as I installed in my boat last year or whether there is yet another update

- Simon

Dan wrote:What did Tony change on the centerboard???
trashpad wrote:I have the same info as you. I was at the factory a few months ago and saw Tony's new centerboard design. I do not know if he has floated the boat yet.

Well if we have 20 prospective buyers here I know where I will post the "For Sale" sign at.

KK
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA