So, what is a Telstar 28 worth now a days?

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

With the changes at PCI, did that hurt or help the resale value of a Telstar 28? We are starting to talk of moving to a bigger Cat one day and of course the talk of resale/trade in value comes up.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

Unless you've spoken to them in the last few months and found out more info, I don't think that the Telstar 28 is officially dead now. More of a hybernation until Tony and Sue figure out it there is a market for it in the USA. They had some orders from overseas, but did not want to build a boat here unless at least 60 percent of the production was for local consumption. He mentioned something about not being profitable with that many going offshore.

If anyone has had a more recent conversation with them, please let us know. Do you know if they did their NW trip yet, and are back? They might be interested to learn that over 20 members of the asssociation and/or forum are prospective buyers.

I have no idea what the boat is actually worth now. Could have stabilized or gone down. The state of the economy was the real issue. Maybe some of the forum members who purchased re-sales could join in and we could track this stuff.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I have the same info as you. I was at the factory a few months ago and saw Tony's new centerboard design. I do not know if he has floated the boat yet.

Well if we have 20 prospective buyers here I know where I will post the "For Sale" sign at.

KK
Dan

Post by Dan »

According to what I last heard from Will, Tony and he were out on the Alaska Edition T2 on Sunday for a test sail. It has a watermaker along with all the other things that Tony has added to the boat. Also, IIRC, Tony came up with a cockpit enclosure for the boat.

Resale value seems to be holding up on the Telstar 28s, as I've been conversing with several people who have bought or looked at the ones that were for sale recently. I don't think that Tony has given up on the Telstar, but is waiting until the market conditions are better and he has had a chance to get some good publicity for the boat via his west coast trip.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

That looks like Neal is at the helm! Good to see him around.
Cathyalan

Post by Cathyalan »

I saw the T2 at PCI April 12-15 and chatted a bit with Tony. Don't know when they are leaving for Alaska. The T2 was in the garage across from the main building and has a plexi-glass dodger on it...quite interesting.

As to boat value, since we just bought a 2005 T2 I can't give an educated opinion. The boat was solid but the former owner evidently thought chrome and stainless steel cleaned itself over time. Big project but the bright work is looking new again. The boat spoke to me a couple of weeks ago and she said she was happy that someone loved her and was taking care of her. We have sailed her 3 times and are quite impressed. Her main body of water will be the Great Lakes, more specifically Green Bay and Lake Michigan for at least this summer.

Alan & Cathy
The Cathyalan - 313
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Post by Dan »

If you need to clean a lot of stainless steel, I’d highly recommend a new product that I recently tried. I have no connection to the manufacturer other than being a happy customer. The product is called Spotless Stainless. It is a new citric-acid based cleaner/passivating solution that does an amazing job on stainless steel. I posted a review of it on my blog, and the following photos are from the review article.

Before treatment:

After treatment:

Mind you, treatment consists of shaking the bottle of Spotless Stainless and brushing the foam onto the stainless steel; letting it sit for half-an-hour or so; then rinsing it off with water. The time is somewhat temperature dependent, and you do have to make sure that the foam doesn’t dry out during the rest period, or the Spotless Stainless will stop working effectively.
Cathyalan

Post by Cathyalan »

I saw your posting and ordered some Stainless Cleaner. Your pictures were quite dramatic.
As an old "gear head" I used to use chrome cleaner and a product called Chore Boy. It's like a wire wool pad made of copper. Use it gently and it does a great job on rust stains and corrosion. There are a number of products offered by Chore Boy:
www.choreboyscrubbers.com
Some hardware stores carry it, I got it at Ace.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
petrel

Post by petrel »

Dan,

Thanks for the tip and info on the st. steel cleaner. I have also purchased some and am curious if you did anything to protect the gel coat and/or if protection is needed?

Read your blog. Very informative and interesting.

Thanks in advance
Geoffrey

Sorry, this is a bit off topic. Maybe it should be moved the the maintenance thread?
Jwood1

Post by Jwood1 »

Back to the original question, I am one of those prospecive buyers. I guess it is worth what I end up paying for it. But, like all boats, there are lots of options and upgrades that will affect the price, not to mention condition. The only Telstar 28 I can find for sale right now is Triple Play (2007, 50hp motor) for $83,000. That seems close to the price the new ones were selling for, so it seems high to me. For me, I'll probably get the best boat I can find in the low 60's.

So, anyone thinking of selling, drop me an email: jwood1@uky.edu

Jerry