Hatch opening fore or aft?

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

With the nor'easter here this weekend, I doubt that any final fairing or barrier coating will be going on. At the top of my list is installing the hatch in front of the mast step. On the original boats, it opened aft. On the new boats, it opens forward. I can see some of the advantages and disadvantages of both. Which is better? Or is it a betty or verionica thing? BTW, I'm a betty man.

Lou
Dan

Post by Dan »

I like having the hatches facing forward, as it helps a lot with ventilation when the boat is at anchor or on the mooring.
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Here's an other consideration. The hinges on mine are at the back, so the hatch leans against the front of the mast when opened. By using the bunks and the galley top as 'steps' I can haul myself, facing aft, through the hatch opening and sit on the coachroof as opposed to the underside of the hatch cover. When I have a full complement of crew, this can be quite useful as I have devised a way of curtaining off the different bunk areas. I have made an extra piece of removeable shelving, with a drop down curtain on the rear edge, to extend the forward bunk back to the bulkhead door. With an extra bespoke seat cushion this then completely closes off the marine head and is not a bad place to sleep, even though you have to reverse into it.

In these circumstances,night time toilet facilities are al fresco for everyone and the forward hatch allows access for the crew in the forward compartment and the forward port bunk. A curtain runs fore and aft and around the starboard front edge of the galley unit to close off the 'double' berth and another smaller curtain gose off at right angles to seperate the port side cushions The crew who sleeps post side rear does so with his head aft. This makes it easier for access when the boat is fully and the bunk does widen out slightly at the rear. When I haul out, I'm going to put a small opening hatch in the port cockpit for light and ventilation to this bunk area.

By the way, all these curtains are actually light (weight and colour) sheets and are located with pianowire and hooks, all of which roll up when out of use and live in one of the cabin bins

Joe
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

The reason I asked the question is because the forward opening hatch made so much sense to me. I felt that it would aid in air flow when the boat is at anchor or on the mooring. I never thought about the ability to hop up and sit infront of the hatch but it makes a lot of sense. The only factor that weighs in favor of a rearward opening hatch is the fact that you could actually keep it open a bit if sailing in light air. In that way, you could keep air flowing in the cabin while ghosting on flat water making it more bearable down there. I guess I'll have to decide soon as I'm probably installing it this weekend, weather permitting.

Lou
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

My vote is forward because it is nice at anchor. When sailing, most onboard are not in the cabin. This, from a Betty guy. Veronica is so phony and uppity.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'll be installin the hatch with the opening facing front. Thanks for all the input.

Lou

BTW, I always dated Veronica when I was young but was smart enough to marry Betty.