Porta bote

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
trashpad

Porta bote

Post by trashpad »

I just put money down on a 10 foot Porta Bote but for a $100 more I can get the 12 foot. Should I go with the bigger one?
wingman

Porta bote

Post by wingman »

I have the 12-ft one and find that it is the right size for two people and "stuff." I think that Dan says that his 12-ft fits on one ama. the 12-ft porta bote has three seats. How many does the 10-ft one have?
luigisante

Porta bote

Post by luigisante »

I've been looking at the porta boat, which looks like a perfect tender for the telstar. I would probably go with the 10' but the 12' would probably be the boat of choice for most.

Lou G
trashpad

Porta bote

Post by trashpad »

The 12 has three seats also. I will more than likely move up to the 12.
Dan

Porta bote

Post by Dan »

Yes, the 10', 12' and 14' porta-botes have three seats. The 10 & 12 fit on the ama deck...the 14 does not IIRC. Assembling it on the ama isn't too bad... beats trying to assemble it on a monohull by a lot... :D
wingman

Porta bote

Post by wingman »

Dan,

How well does it tow if you have it assembled? Assume without an outboard.

If you have an outboard, did you put some mount for it on the aft pulpit?

John
drsm

Porta bote

Post by drsm »

We have the 10' model and use an electric trolling motor on it. It can be rowed, but not very efficiently due to the flex in the plastic hull. It is very stable, and hauls quite a load. I have towed it while motoring relatively slowly, but I don't think it would do well at sailing speeds. It will fold nicely on an ama, but the plastic parts (seats and transom) are pretty bulky and have to be stored somewhere. In fact, on our recent cruise up the coast of Lake Michigan, we opted for two kayaks, one on each ama, for ease of use and greater flexibility.

Steve
Dan

Porta bote

Post by Dan »

I wouldn't tow any dinghy behind the Telstar, since it can often sail fast enough to cause a towed dinghy some serious problems. I will generally haul the dinghy on to one of the ama decks rather than tow it. Pretty simple to do and prevents all of the issues associated with towing it. The inflatable dinghy I have fits on the ama deck and tucks under the main hull nicely. The Porta-bote sits in the ama interior, but doesn't tuck up under the main hull.