Evolution of the Telstar 28

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Dan

Post by Dan »

The Telstar 28 was introduced in late 2003. Since the boat was introduced, it has had some changes to the design as it has evolved.

The original boats had a centerboard with a draft of 4' 3". It was offered in two models, a base version that was essentially the hull and mast, but didn’t include the mast-raising system or much in the way of an interior, outboard or electrical system. The deluxe model had a factory finished interior with the head, galley, and nav console with the basic electrical system, and the 20 HP outboard. IIRC, the mast-raising system was an option. Other options included the bimini, the dodger, laminate sails and a larger 50 HP outboard.

When I ordered my boat, back in late 2006, I had spoken with Will and Tony at length, and asked that some modifications to the design be made. These modifications included adding bow chocks to the bow to improve line-handling, rather than just having a single cleat. There were other modifications I had asked about as well. Originally, I was supposed to get a hull in the 320s.

Due to the requests I had made, and which Tony had seen worthwhile to adding to the production version of the Telstar, I ended up with hull #334, which is my Pretty Gee. She came with a few options that were being tested at the time, like shore power and a refrigerator. I believe she was the first customer boat to have both shorepower and a refrigerator factory installed.

Another option that has been offered off and on is a tall rig for the Telstar. The standard mast is 35' 6" tall from the mast step to the mast crane. I believe the tall rig is either 37' tall. The boom is also about six inches lower on the tall rig boats. This gives the tall rig boats an additional 2' of sail area. As far as I know, all of the rigging except the backstay is the same as on the standard rig boat, so the genoa is the same size on either boat.

Since my boat, the factory has changed the molds to include a dam in the hull liner for the shower/head area, so that the head can be converted into a shower more easily. This is still a work in progress. There is also a curtain that closes off the forepeak in the more recent boats, and the interior liner of the head has been changed to make it more suitable for using the compartment as a shower.

Another major change is the centerboard. The latest boats have a centerboard that is 9" longer than the original design, with a draft of 5'. This is supposed to help the boat point better and resist leeway better. Personally, I haven’t had a problem with leeway or pointing on my boat as far as I’ve seen.

The ama intermediate boxes were also changed to allow the side decks that fold down when the amas are retracted drop more vertically than on the original design. This cleans up the appearance of the boat a bit when the boat has the amas folded. From what I understand, it was a cosmetic change, but the boxes differ enough from the ones on the older boats that they are no longer interchangeable.

The amas also no longer have the holes for the lifeline stanchions, which appear to have been a big source of ama leaks. I am using one of the stanchion holes for the solar panel mounts on the Pretty Gee, but generally never bother with mounting the lifelines or stanchions.

The cockpit drains on the original Telstar 28 consisted of two round drains, one mid-cockpit on the port side below the engine throttle control, another in the starboard aft corner. The only problem with this is that the Telstar leans a bit to port, which means that there was usually a small amount of water standing in the cockpit. The later models have a wide slot like drain along the transom that drains out onto the rear swim platform. This seems to work a good deal better. On the Pretty Gee, I’ve added a drain in the port-side of the transom, to clear the standing water out.

The boom and forestay on the later boats have had extension links added to them to make lowering the rig simpler. The forestay extension link allows you to move the furler up towards the top of the mast, so that when the mast is down, the furler is better supported by the mast, with the furling drum just below the mast foot. On the older design without the extension link, you have to detach the forestay/furler foil and move it back up the mast to support the furling drum. The boom extension link allows you to keep the boom and mainsail attached when lowering the mast.

The cabin interior has evolved a bit as well. The older boats didn't have the cushions that go against the forward ama hinge point at the front of the cabin settees. The small cabinets and interior liner that make up the aft bulkhead of the cabin have been added since my boat was built, as have the two stainless steel hand rails by the partial bulkheads at the forward end of the galley and nav station.

The refrigerator option on the Telstar has gone through several changes as well. Originally, it was an Engel M27, which was mounted outboard of the stove. Then it was a drawer type refrigerator that was mounted below the companionway steps. The most recent boats have gone back to the Engel M27 top-loading refrigerator, but it has been moved to the port side of the companionway, with a slightly narrower companionway ladder. I like the Engel units. They are fairly quiet, and very energy efficient. They are also very highly rated by Practical Sailor magazine.

Even the mast raising system has changed a bit on the newer boats. On my boat, one of the A-frames is mounted to a set of tracks. I don’t believe the newer boats have the tracks on the cabin top any longer. I am considering using the tracks for sheeting a storm jib. It would give me very tight, in-board sheeting and help the boat point better. I have to ask Tony if the tracks are strong enough for that purpose.

The Telstar 28 is a relatively young design, only about five years old. As such, it is still evolving, being tweaked by Tony, often with feedback from the owners of the earlier boats. I don’t think there are two Telstar 28s made that are identical, as Tony has been constantly tweaking the design.

Overall, I am very happy with my choice to get a Telstar 28, as I’ve written on my blog. If you’re looking for a versatile, fun boat, that can work as a trailerable daysailer, but is capable of longer cruises, then this might be a good choice for you.
jcjglt

Post by jcjglt »

Your blog is very informative about the Telstar 28, her evoluation and the modifications you felt necessary, thanks for all these details.
After some significant time spent to sail her it would be interesting to have your feeling about the seaworthyness, plus and minus of this sailboat according to the weather conditions (wind, seastate...) you have met.
Best regards, jcjglt.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Dan, Nice write-up, but I'm wondering, just how many Telstar's have been produced? I have #340.

Terry P
drsm

Post by drsm »

osprey wrote: just how many Telstar's have been produced? I have #340.
Terry P
Well, my boat, which is just being completed, is listed at #376

Steve
Ron

Post by Ron »

The first boat was hull number 301, but PCI didn't really sell the first 9 or 10 boats when they were made. They were experimenting with various things before offering it to the public. Your 376 under construction would mean that yours is the 66th boat produced to be sold. But I understand that PCI later tried to sell some of the earlier experimental boats for a much lower price. One was a lightweight racer and one had wheel steering - not sure if they still have them. Last time I was there I saw a few still scattered around the factory.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Actually, most of the prototype boats were sold off AFAIK. I had spoken to Will about it about a eighteen months ago, since I knew someone that was interested in getting a prototype. Some of the prototypes did not have the mast-raising system IIRC.

As Ron pointed out, one of the boats was an all vacuum-infused, kevlar reinforced composite hull, and one did have wheel steering, which could be seen in the original Telstar 28 brochures and website IIRC.

I believe that there are 73 Telstar 28s in the wild so to speak.