Performance Cruising Announcement

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

And for the rust, it looks like the SS is white powder coated.

trashpad

Post by trashpad »

Three aft shots,

Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Cool stuff. My wife just asked me if it would help Mr. Smith make up his mind about future plans if we gave him an order and deposit for one of these.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

You could always buy one of the used Telstars that are on the market right now (Wink Wink) and be sailing while Tony makes up his mind.

To be serious, from talking with Tony he is thinking long range right now. He feels that the Gemini never fully took off until he and Neil sailed one across the pond and wrote about is. That is why he stopped building right now and is going sailing. First he wanted to head way up north and poke around all the while writing articles about his adventure. When he missed the northern window he decided to go south. He hopes to use his adventures in the same way as with the Gemini trip and get a market surge behind the Telstar.
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

ONE of the used ones? The only one I have seen lately is the 2007 that The Catamaran Company is brokering.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

There were two but the first one went to contract two weeks ago. I listed mine with them right before that. I am from around Annapolis so I wanted to move Reboot to the PCI docks thinking it would help.
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

our situation is that we were on the track of trying to nail down a Gemini, until we looked into the Telstars. For a variety of reasons , it looks like a better boat for us for where we live and what we want to do. I had lusted after the Corsairs, but too spartan, and the rigid daggerboard was just unacceptable. We'll have a small shovelfull of money around early October. And we plan to buy a boat with it.

And that's the story on that.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks for all the photos of the T2 Alaska Edition.

I'm curious as to how the chain plate for the forestay is supported.

Not crazy about the dodger/bimini setup, but that's a personal thing.

I like the net but wish they'd go out to the amas, rather than just filling the gaps along the bow. The wider bow is a nice change. I wonder how much of the width is carried down below. The cross strut connecting the two forward most posts is a nice one as is the new bow roller setup.

The new stern setup is interesting as are the hammock seats, but I don't necessarily know if they're an improvement.

I'd be interested in finding out how he did the propane locker and the fuel tank. A 26 gallon fuel tank would be a really nice addition to the boat IMHO.

I didn't see the solar panels in the photos. How are they mounted, and what size are they??
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I will try to get a close look at how the forestay connects. From what I can tell, just about all the changes up front come from the 20 pound LP tank being located forward of the anchor locker.
I have wanted to design hammock seats for some time now. The hard seats must weigh 40 pounds each plus I would think the hammocks would be more comfortable. Tony did say that his seats are not for sitting, just holding line and blocking spray. I would think a few changes and they would make a great seat.
Tony said that he put the fuel tank in the bunk below the cockpit. I do not know if he used the floatation chamber or put a tank in the bunk area.
The first photo of the three aft shots shows the two solar panels. It looks like he ran a bar across the top and mounted them to it.
The dodger is a bit strange. It is a hard dodger that can be raised or lowered. The canvas you see in the photos is just for sun and protection. The binini is designed to connect directly to the dodger and there are side enclosures. Tony wanted to be able to seal off the cockpit for cold and rainy weather.
ggreen

Re: Performance Cruising Announcement

Post by ggreen »

To Anyone,

I can not download or see any of the pictures on the modifications made to Tony's Telstar 28. I am guessing that when things were transferred to the new website that there may have been some glitches. Is there any way that they can be downloaded again for viewing. I like some of the modifications and would like to incorporate them in CatNip when I have an opportunity.

Thanks,

Gary G.