Clothing, canvas bags, etc.

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm going to have some clothing and other things made up for the Telstar. Maybe T-shirts, knit shirts, hats, padded covers for the rails behind the seats, etc. A friend of mine is the supplier of all of this merhandise for Catalina Yachts and I'll probably go thru him. PCI doesn't seem to be interested in doing it, so I asked them for permission to use their logos and graphics. Maybe the "28 in the circled star", the PCI emblem, and the two graphics showing the boat from the side and top. Everything can be custom embroided with boat name or whatever you want.

If anyone else is interested, we can do it thru the association as well. Quality of the merchandise is first rate and the prices (for us) would be reasonable. He mentioned maybe $13 for a good quality T-shirt with emblem and boat name on the front and one of the graphics on the back. There are no minimum quantities and he'll make it up as needed, and drop ship it to any address.

You can see his stuff on the Catalina web site store - http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/ca ... StoreFront. The rail covers are on the first page, and our prices would be somewhat less (Catalina marks everything up). We would have the Telstar logo on all of the merchandise.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Any chance of getting the 26 or 8M in the logo instead of the 28?

Pat
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pat -

Sure. All this stuff is custom made, so they'll do anything you want as long as it legal. But they'd need a good copy of one.
Ron Marcuse
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Ron wrote:Pat -

Sure. All this stuff is custom made, so they'll do anything you want as long as it legal. But they'd need a good copy of one.
I've got both on logos on separate main sails. I can take a photo of each for a good graphic.

Pat
drsm

Post by drsm »

Yes, we would likely be interested in a few things--rail covers, t-shirts, hats, etc.

Steve
wingman

Post by wingman »

I would definitely be interested. Can we get text along the lines of

"My Husband Leaves Me to Go Sailing and All I Get is this Lousy T-Shirt!"

Would I be the only one who senses this might occasionally be the case?

John
Ron

Post by Ron »

John -

You can get anything you want, but more things would probably mean more money. My wife hasn't been on the boat in about 6 months now. She wouldn't appreciate that T-shirt though (and wouldn't wear it anyway).

I'm waiting for a response from PCI concerning their logos and graphics before I proceed. Last time I asked WIll he said that they don't do these kinds of things. We probably have to consider what we want and then partially standardize it. Maybe T-shirts with a smaller "28 star" and the boat name on the chest and a large image of the boat on the back, either from the side or top. The hat could have "Telstar" and the "28 star" on the front. They usually make up the padded rail covers with the boat name on one side and boat type (Telstar 28 for example) on the other. I'm open to any other ideas, so let me know. We could substitute 26 or 8M as well.
Ron Marcuse
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Ron, count me in on the shirts, hats etc. By the way I own hull #'s 301( the boat in the original brochure) and hull # 302 which has the wheel steering not # 303. The boats should be in New jersey by the end of September. Also the site I gave you that monitors Craigs list etc. was wrong, the site should be jaxed.com not jax.com. Look for their mashed site and it will take you to a web crawler? that locates specific boats. There is a 15' minuteman cat boat for sale in your area for $3900. Just thought I would tell you. I think we should also investigate the possibility of offering the telstar as a static model display, just like the Catalina model that you have at your house. Graham
Ron

Post by Ron »

Graham -

I was thinking about contacting Abordage, the Dominican Republic company that did the full and half hull models for my Catalina 400. But to get the price down we'd need at least a dozen or more orders for each. We wound up ordering about 30 full models and 50 or 60 half hulls (both mounted on mahogany boards) - all at around half price. A lot of design and engineering goes into the first one and it can be duplicated much cheaper, so the more you buy the lower the individual cost. The full model is a museum quality work of art - about 32 inches long and 50 inches high. Fully rigged and detailed - other than the size, it could almost pass for the real boat.

Take a look at their web site - http://www.abordage.com. If enough people are interested, we can contact them.

Considering that there are maybe 85 new Telstars built, I don't think we'd get the quantity to do this. The 26 and 8M are different boats so you can't include them in the total quantity - it would be a separate order. I imagine we'd pay around $500 each, perhaps $150 for the half hulls (but how do you handle a half hull trimaran). We'd need good photo's of every boat - they'd match everything, and some line drawings from PCI. 24 inches long by 15 inches wide would be a good size for a T2 model.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

I emailed Abordage about models of the Telstars, and what they can do for a multihull. They sent back a number of samples, including the Catana 471 below. They do nice work. They would need the line and section drawings of the hulls and decks to give me an estimate of the cost, and at various quantities. I'm going to ask PCI for them in case anyone wants to go ahead with this.
Ron Marcuse