Rafting up - What fenders to use

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

Today we had absolutely no wind, so we rafted up with three other sailboats. We had our amas extended, so we sit lower than the other boats (one Catalina and two Hunters). We had our fenders attached to the grabrail, but the line across the ama are quite awkward. Does anyone have good ways to attach fenders or other methods with the amas extended and attached to a dock or when rafted up? We thought it would be a good idea if there was a grabbing device that would attach to the ama and have the fender in a horizontal position, but don't know if something out there exists.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, BTW, everyone have a great Fourth.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I’m in the process of adding cleats to the amas for tying up when the amas are extended. Having the lines running across the ama decks to the main hull is a tripping hazard at best IMHO and makes little sense. As for fenders, I use the 8.5" x 26" fenders that come three to a package for $99 at West Marine when they’re on sale. They’re about the best deal for fenders, and far more useful than the four small ones that come with the boat. I have six of them aboard the Pretty Gee. I have the fenders tied to the various padeyes, so that they’re fairly well positioned for rafting up or tying up to a dock. The mid-ships one is a problem, and I’ll be adding a padeye for that one to be tied to.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Last year I was thinking of putting a 3 or 4 foot track on the top surface of the ama coamings, primarily to hold a sliding block for a barber hauler or maybe the spinnaker or screecher based on wind conditions. A low track will fit under the deck when the ama's retract, don't think a cleat or pad eye will make it. We can obviously slide in a cleat or a padeye onto the track and anything that slides in on the track may have to slide out when we fold. A 4 foot track would also be better fastened to the coaming than one or two screws on something small.

I ran out of time down in Florida. When I get back this fall I will probably do it - boat's in back of the house as opposed to 35 minutes away with most of my tools in the wrong place.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

I use the small fenders vertciall at the front and rear padeyes and have an additional large fender with eyes at both ends. I tie a line between the two ends so it sits horizontally and tie off the mid point of the loop to the lift up handles on the outrigger hatch. Not perfect I know but seem to work ok for me
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA