Telstar 28 real numbers

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
massnspace

Telstar 28 real numbers

Post by massnspace »

Hello

I am considering the purchase of a Telstar 28 for a business idea. I found some early reviews of the boat, but can find very little video evidence of it moving across the water, so have the following questions:

Speed under sail: How fast does this boat really go in different wind strengths (from say 5 knots to 20 knots) and on different points of sail?

Speed under power: Same question, how fast? And is a 40 hp motor the max size? Is the boat able to motor, at speed, with amas extended?

Loading: What would putting 6 passengers on this boat do to its performance? And does that weight also affect how hard it can be pushed? Are the articulating structure points proven with both weight and speed maxed?

Any real world numbers or advice welcome.

Thank you.

David W
wooden

Re: Telstar 28 real numbers

Post by wooden »

I have owned my Telstar for 12 years now and sailed in various conditions. I believe I can give you some real-life numbers and experiences.
In my experience, the boat does not sail in low wind as well as others, but you can get two to three knots with a 5-knot wind beyond 45 degrees, but 60 degrees seems to be a tipping point between catching wind and struggling.. As far as top speed is concerned, I have hit 15 knots in about 25 knots of wind at a good angle. It became a bit uncomfortable at that point, and I did have a reef in the sail. I reduced the main enough to bring me to 12 knots and that was very comfortable.

As far as motoring is concerned I bought a 30hp Suzuki and I couldn't be more pleased. The weight is slightly more than the 20 hp Honda, and it is very quiet. I know people who have put larger engines on the boat, but I do not see the drawbacks of weight and fuel burn are worth it with these larger engines I motor very easily in my 30 hp at 7-8 knots, and the fuel burn is 3/4 gallons per hour at the most. Outriggers extended is best, but it will motor otherwise, I just would not sail with the outriggers contracted.

I lost one of the outriggers coming home from Cuba a few years ago. I had to pull the damaged outrigger up on the boat, so I was essentially running with one outrigger out and one in. I motored successfully almost 100 miles.

I love this boat. I am currently outfitting her or the Great Loop and will leave in February. I will try to keep everyone posted.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
massnspace

Post by massnspace »

Thank you….

Any other opinions welcome….
Ron

Post by Ron »

I sort of agree with Steve's response, but I believe that the boat is capable of more with some improved and/or modified equipment.

First, I ordered mine with the Kevlar sail options, both main and genoa. The sails are significantly larger - the main's roach extends about 2-3 feet beyond the back stay, and the genoa is something like a 155 as I recall. The boat is a little tricky to tack or gybe in light air, even with the slippery covering on the batten pockets. Tends to hang up in lighter air, and the larger genoa can be more difficult to tack. Sails did not change their shape for 10+ years, but both became delaminated and were replaced with dacron when I decided to sell the boat a few months ago.

Second - I improved the rigging and sail controls. Never really liked pin based sail tracks, so I modified the traveler car and both genoa cars for line controls. Major improvement, especially the traveler. Using the main sheet for or during course corrections will always screw up the pressure on the sail. Trim the sail with the sheet, then use the traveler to handle any changes in course. Very easy with line control, difficult with pulling and setting pins. Worked with friends at Garhauer and Shaeffer to design the parts and equipment. All of this was documented on this web site. Other tricks included a teflon bottom paint (Pettit Hydrocoat), head stay and halyard improvements, etc. Also documented.

Net result - I've gotten the boat just over 20 knots at least 3 times, all in 22 to 24 knots of wind. But conditions were absolutely perfect. Sailing north/south with a breeze from the east or west close to that shore of the bay or harbor (Barnegat Bay, NJ and Charlotte Harbor, FL). Good wind, little chop, beam reach. Light air - about 5 knots in 5 knots of wind. Less than 4 - start the motor.

I like the Honda 20 for the boat, but any other that does not weigh a lot more would probably be OK as well. Can't see adding another 100 pounds to the transom. I can do around 7 knots with the ama's out.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
massnspace

Post by massnspace »

Thanks for the input and descriptions….

Ron. I would be interested in seeing or hearing more about your “painless” traveler system.

Thanks,

David
Ron

Post by Ron »

"your “painless” traveler system."

It's all documented on this website. Basically. you can easily control the angle of the boom and main sail with a line. Pull one end it goes clockwise, the other counter-clockwise. The shape of the sail does not really change. Use the sheet to do it and you totally lose the shape for that wind speed.

Best think I ever did to the boat. Did the exact same for just about every sailboat I ever owned.
P6250002-small.jpg
P6250002-small.jpg (142.55 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"