Shorter vs Longer Centerboard. Any noticeable performance di

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
foreverunstopable

Shorter vs Longer Centerboard. Any noticeable performance di

Post by foreverunstopable »

Reading Dans posts on the design changes is there a year/hull # the Telstar 28 changed over from the shorter centerboard to the longer?

Have and members had the chance to race or sail the two different lengths side by side and compare performance differences?

Thanks.
wooden

Re: Shorter vs Longer Centerboard. Any noticeable performanc

Post by wooden »

I have the shorter board on #340. I am not sure what the purpose of the longer board may be other than a very slight improvement in slip control, if any. There are a number of characteristics of this boat that make the centerboard unnecessary under most circumstances. Racing, high winds, and any condition which could create significant slip will be helped by the centerboard. Mine broke off two years ago but I continued to sail without it while I waited for a replacement. There was a significant performance difference under heaven sails and seas, but the boat remained stable. I can not imagine a few inches would make much difference.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Ron

Re: Shorter vs Longer Centerboard. Any noticeable performanc

Post by Ron »

I may have the 1st longer centerboard on 359. Wasn't expecting it - it was a total surprise. I probably would have preferred the shorter board because the boat was destined to wind up in SW Florida where there is not always a lot of water under you. But you don't have to put the board all of the way down. And I rarely do. Yep - it is angled back just a drop (maybe 15 degrees) where I usually have it, but it seems to work just as well there. And the board and trunk have more surface area to support the sideways forces.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"