Garhauer line control genoa cars

Details on what you get for being an ITOA member, and how to get it.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I think the best fit for ALL of the boats is a single 1 1/4 inch (maximum diameter) sheeve and cheek plate with becket on the sliding car, and a fiddle with the larger sheeve being no more than 1 1/4 inch in diameter on the fixed car. Height of either car with sheeves and plate has got to be no more than 1 1/8 inch above the track, and preferably a drop less. Your boat and Dan's probably have the same layout and I guess that your track was installed a drop more inboard than his. Mine is different and most of the proposed solutions would fit.

Putting a fiddle on the slider would call for one sheeve with a wider diameter and we don't it there considering the limited space. The fixed car has no bearings and is closer to the track. I really think the 3 to 1 purchase is satisfactory for our boats. I've moved the pin locked car under load (15 knots of wind) with no lines and no mechanical advantage and it's got to be less than 100 pounds of force to slide the car (not to hold the sheet). 3 to 1 would cut that down by a factor of 3.

I'll call Garhauer on Monday and see what they can do. I'll also fax them the drawing you had on a previous post to represent the "worst" case, along with photos so they can see what we're talking about.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ron—

We're getting socked with snow and freezing rain today, so I'm hoping to get photos tomorrow morning instead. :) I'll post photos and measurements as soon as I can.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

Don't kill yourself doing it. It's not that important. According to Will there was only one major change in the walkway / ledge. Mine is one of the first with the new design. Your's and Mark's must be similar, with his being a little closer to the cabin wall and windows. If we can reduce the size of the sheeves and plate around 1/2 inch and do not stack them, it should fit all of the boats.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Post by Dan »

I took a quick look, and it does seem mine is close to what Mark posted. Boat's buried though. :(
Ron

Post by Ron »

An update on the Garhauer genoa cars - they'll get back to me in a day or two on what they can do. Between boat shows and holiday closing, they've been gone for a few weeks.

I'm expecting to order 2 sample systems each consisting of a forward fixed car with pair of sheeves in a fiddle arrangement, a ball bearing sliding car with a single block and becket, and a rear fixed car with a swiveling cam cleat. This will result in something that's short and narrow enough to make it onto our 1 1/4 inch Schaeffer track without hitting the windows or cabin sides. Last time I spoke to them they thought that they could build this.
Ron Marcuse