Garhauer line control genoa cars

Details on what you get for being an ITOA member, and how to get it.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Sorry guys. For me the problem was the slider. I will try to get some measurements and get back to the folks at Garhauer. But I think these different experinces illustrate the root cause. I don't think PCI uses any kind of template or guide - I think they eyeball it. Either that or the window seals vary drastically in thickness.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Mark-

Can you post measurements as well as take some photos of your genoa rail’s forward end and include the port in the photo?? I’m curious as to how you had a problem with the sliding car, but not the fixed one. That just strikes me as really odd... and quite improbable, since if the port were low enough to hit the sliding car sheave, it should have had serious problems with the fixed car sheaves—which are much higher, and almost as wide IIRC.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Weather is rotten today. I'll try to get the pictures and measurements tomorrow.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I took the boat off of the lift today and went sailing (sorry to mention that if you're in the frozen part of the country). I also looked closely at the track. The forward end of the track is a lot closer to the window area than the middle or back - because that ledge expands in width as you go back. The forward part of the track looks like it may be close enough to the window to impede getting either car onto the track, but once you move back a foot or two it's a lot wider and probably will not even be close. But you have to get the car past the front, because inserting it thru the back means pulling one of the big aka hinge pins.

I'm going to ask Garhauer for some modes to both cars and then test it out on my boat first, and will take measurements as to height and width of all of the modified cars.

Dan - I'm wondering if PCI modified that shelf when they changed the walkboard?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

Just took a photo of my boat - #359. I don't think the ledge is the same as yours (based on your photo). They could have changed it when they modified the folding walkboard. Mine is a lot wider in back, but the track may be closer to window than yours up front. Take a look at it.

Ron Marcuse
Dan

Post by Dan »

Guys—

I think you're right... the forward end looks a lot narrower than what I’ve got on the Pretty Gee. I think the change occurred when they modified the deck mold for the new side deck design, and modified the ama extension boxes. I think this was done when they went to the longer centerboard, as a rough guess.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

When you get a chance, measure the distance from the track to the vertical wall (cabin top or cockpit) at the front end of the track and at the back. I'll do the same. Not sure if you're front end is narrower than mine or maybe my back end is just a bit wider. I have a lot more room towards the back, but it may or may not be narrower in front. If we could get the cars on at the back it would make it a lot easier. The newer boats have at least 3 inches between the track and wall at the back end.

Have you ever measured the actual width of the folded boat? I'm 90 percent shure that mine is a little more than the 102 inch advertised spec. That may have changed also when they were playing with the deck and walkway molds. Lucky for me that it would be very hard for anyone to actually measure the width while on the trailer.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

My track (inside edge, not middle) is 1 1/8 inch from the wall in front and 3 1/2 inches at the back. The measurement was taken at the extreme ends (where the track end piece is screwed on) and it's to the vertical part of the wall, not the beginning of the curve which winds up in a vertical plane. The ruler was at the top of that radius.

Looking at our two photo's posted here, it looks line they made a few changes here. Yours looks parallel to both the wall and side of the ledge. Mine is parallel only to the ledge. The above measurements show how much it angles away from the wall.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

My port track is 1/2" froom the cabin side (to the track edge) and only about an 1/8" in from the window. I have a sketch and pictures but I can't figure out how to get them on this site. The port side is about a 1/4 " farther out from the cabin.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

You probably have the older arrangement, more like Dan's. Are the tracks parallel to both the cabin and the outside of the ledge? Mine appears to be totally different. Track spacing to cabin wall starts out at about 1 1/8 inch up front and winds up with about 3 1/2 inches in back, and tracks are parallel to the outside edge of the ledge. They apparently enlarged the ledge that the track is on when they re-did the walkway. Dan thinks that they re-did the box that the centerboard goes into at that time also. I've got the first 5+ foot center board (supposedly 5 feet 4 inches or so). It was a big surprise to me when I picked up the boat - was expecting 4 1/2 feet.
Ron Marcuse