New Administrator needed NOW !!!!

Use this forum for questions, comments, or concerns about this web site.
Ron

New Administrator needed NOW !!!!

Post by Ron »

Someone has to volunteer as Administrator NOW !!. My boat is gone, totaled by Hurricane Ian and they took it about 4-5 months ago. I've been doing this job for over 15 years - and for the last 8 months not even owning a Telstar. It will not run by itself. We will owe about $250 to the company running the site and to keep our name. We do NOT have that much left on PayPal. I will hang around for a few months to help out and answer questions, but no more administration duties.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
BoarX

Re: New Administrator needed NOW !!!!

Post by BoarX »

Hi Ron,

We all highly appreciate your leadership over the years, but please describe in full detail what does it take to support the site. Without that, I am afraid you just end up scaring the potential successors away. Also, exactly how much money needs to be raised to keep the site afloat for at least another year. It is still summer, many people are away; we may have better luck with this discussion come September.

Best,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Ron

Post by Ron »

Alex -

Job is not that bad. You have to log in occasionally to admit or reject new members. The vast majority of these people are rejections, maybe 99%. You can tell by looking at their requested club id vs. email address, and any with a RU, CN or similar country code should also be rejected. I just scan down the list looking at that, then single out the few who might be good, then select them and do a "who is" on them. Very few are OK. I have no idea why these people are trying to break into a small poor boat club.

The other important job is to get our members to contribute to our treasury. The site costs about $250 per year. That's for the web site and to own our "telstar.net" name. The administrator would control our pay pal account, which currently has about $33.

You also have to keep an eye on what's happening on the site. People who have gotten past the registration process who try to sell things on the site (or similar) have to be tossed out. That's rare if you're careful. You may also have to edit a member response which is in the wrong place or not proper for this site.

There could be some occasional tech stuff but there are members who could help with this, along with technicians at our service provider.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
PNW Telstar

Post by PNW Telstar »

Ron, I am sent you a PM to call me so that I can step up to keep the website going, or I would be happy to help Alex do it if he wants to take the lead. Really don't want to loose this valuable site!