Some issues with the forum

Use this forum for questions, comments, or concerns about this web site.
seicam

Post by seicam »

I've been submitting some posts recently and have some comments to the site, nothing urgent, but hopefully something that can be taken care of:

1) I keep clicking the checkbox to remember my login and it has no effect. The site does not remember me and also logs me off after some time of inactivity. The result is that if I look at some posts in the morning, leave the window open and then try to post something in the evening the post fails (is lost) I get back to login page, have to log in and then type in my post again. I've learnt already to type outside of the forum and then copy-and-paste into post window.

2) On IE8 the picture attachements are not showing scrollbars, so only a small portion can be visible. The workaround is to switch IE8 into back-compat mode. No big deal here.

3) For some reason my IP from work gets blocked. I can only post from home. That might be a good thing though :-)

Thanks,
Maciek
Dan

Post by Dan »

The checkbox issue may have to do with the cookies on your computer. Try clearing the cookies and then logging in again.

I don't use IE8, so I can't say what Microsoft has done with it. The forum software works in all CSS2 compliant browsers AFAIK. Microsoft has always done things a bit differently and often cause compatibility issues because of that. They are the ones who are not standards compliant in most cases.

As for your IP from work being blocked, it is probably on your company’s firewall settings, not anything the forum has done, unless you work at Ukraine Telecom. They’ve been spamming us horribly and I’ve gone and banned a good amount of their IP addresses as a result.
drsm

Post by drsm »

I use Firefox 3.10, and cannot get my login to be remembered either. I've enabled cookies for the site, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Pictures work fine for me, though.

Steve
seicam

Post by seicam »

Dan,
Clearing the cookies did not help with the login problem.

As for the compatibility issue, it might be one of the two things - either a problem wiht IE8 or IE8 is more compliant than IE7, but phpBB software thinks it deals with IE7 and applies some workarounds that are no longer neccessary. I did some search on phpBB forums and found this possible workaround:
(from here: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/43305)

You can add this:

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
to force IE8 to render phpBB in compatiblity mode.

As for the blocked IP address - I guess I will keep posting form home for now. And I do not work for Ukraine Telekom :-)

And BTW, appriciate your work keeping this forum running.

Regards,
Maciek
dcsailing1

Post by dcsailing1 »

An annoying item: I’m using Firefox 3.0.10 and the site is now remembering me to auto log on. Great!
I do have a question about “double” scroll bars. It appears that there are two windows open at a time, each with its own slider bar. Scrolling down a series of posts requires switching back and forth so that the inner scroll bar can be “grabbed” to see what’s below. This is a problem as the amount of data, especially large photos, is added to a thread. Do I have something set wrong in FF? This appears to only be a problem on this forum. Advise when you can please and thanks for all the effort and work to make this the information base it is.
Dan

Post by Dan »

When larger images are in a post, they often cause the post to have a scroll bar.
dcsailing1 wrote:An annoying item: I’m using Firefox 3.0.10 and the site is now remembering me to auto log on. Great!
I do have a question about “double” scroll bars. It appears that there are two windows open at a time, each with its own slider bar. Scrolling down a series of posts requires switching back and forth so that the inner scroll bar can be “grabbed” to see what’s below. This is a problem as the amount of data, especially large photos, is added to a thread. Do I have something set wrong in FF? This appears to only be a problem on this forum. Advise when you can please and thanks for all the effort and work to make this the information base it is.
dcsailing1

Post by dcsailing1 »

Dan, I am getting double scroll bars all the time. Even in this rather short thread and the all the menu pages. If I back to a menu page, I get the double scroll bar which leaves me far down the page with no content. I have to scroll back up each and every time I go back to a menu page. Any other ideas of how I can change this. Thanks.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

On this site only - I can't select more than one character (to copy, delete, highlight, etc.) in EDIT mode using the mouse and left button in IE7. Also getting this error at the bottom -

Fatal error: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php in /home/.vanilla/telstar28/telstarcms/cms/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 112

Are they related? Can you select an entire line or paragraph?

Also just noticed that it stopped highlighting new topics or available messages in red.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

I'm still getting a "fatal error" on some of the screens. -

Fatal error: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php in /home/telstar28/telstarcms/cms/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 112

Obviously it's not fatal, because it still works. And I still can't select more than one character using the mouse when creating or responding to a post - to copy, cut or move that text.

Any idea of what's going on?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"