Rejected registrations

Use this forum for questions, comments, or concerns about this web site.
wingman

Rejected registrations

Post by wingman »

Ron,

I see no problem with you requiring people to contact you first. If you just ignored all these bogus ones, would they eventually go away? Can they crash the site? Seems like you should be able to put a timeout on a request.

John
Ron

Rejected registrations

Post by Ron »

John -

I don't have that much control of the administrative end of the forum, but I was able to increase the complexity of the captcha display, and I also eliminated many email addresses as well. One or both of these has eliminated just about all of the new registrations. Probably better than having to erase hundreds of spammers every few days, but I will no longer get to see any real people trying to join - thats why a I'm asking for personal messages so I can get them into the system.

The forum software is a fairly old version. Maybe the newer release has improved this, but I cannot install it. I'm hoping that Dan will do it one day.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Rejected registrations

Post by Ron »

I opened up the gates (allowing new registrations) to get four new members in. Because of many spammers trying to break in during this 48 hour period, they are closed again. A reminder - any legitimate user will now have to contact me first. You will see a note that your email address is not allowed.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"