bent struts on ama?

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Rick

bent struts on ama?

Post by Rick »

Anchored last night and found ourselves in the morning with the port side on sand and starboard side still floating.
No damage done until we went to fold the ama in on the starboard side.
The folding side skirt would not clear the top of the am as on the port side. We were able to bring the ama in but not have the skirt fold completely in. Maybe the struts were bent during the night?
Any ideas on how to bend it back? The ama is about 1 1/2 inches higher than the other side.
Thanks to all for any input.

Rick
Bill

Re: bent struts on ama?

Post by Bill »

Getting acquainted with my new boat. Didn't notice an issue on the trailer, but once in the water, the port intermediate box rubbed, after second sail bumped hard enough I was unable to retract fully. I filed the bottom of the skirt enough I could get it closed. Will try rearranging the spacer washers to create clearance, hopefully not until I haul in the fall. Not sure why this is happening. Tracking down the clunk sounds when going over waves, found that there is a surprising amount of play at the forward lower inner hinge, seems likely that the rulon bearing has worn. Other people experience this?
Bill

Re: bent struts on ama?

Post by Bill »

Turns out on closer examination that the motion is not in the hinge, but between the lower stainless strap and the fiberglass, 6 bolts slightly rocking when forced by waves. Normally in tension, but when bow rises out of water it puts this joint in compression, and - clunk. Took each bolt out individually and reinstalled more tightly, with some quick hardening epoxy on the threads in the fiberglass area. Will hope for the best. This was done from a low kayak, able to get right under the area with the ama deployed, would be more difficult from a dinghy, I suspect. Lost my good screwdriver overboard though...