WTB: Telstar 26 project, preferably MkIII or 8m

Have something to sell, looking for a specific piece of hardware.... this is the place to be.
Phishman86

WTB: Telstar 26 project, preferably MkIII or 8m

Post by Phishman86 »

Hello all, thank you for the addition to this forum!

I have been reading up on the Telstar 26 on and off for a year. I see that most boats are located in Europe but there are also several here in the states. Many are in restored or near serviceable shape but I have seen a few "projects" posted that have been neglected and in need of a total recondition. I am interested in one of the latter and was wondering if anyone on the forum knows of one available on the eastern US coast? The only recent listings I've seen on various sites are restored boats.

I am particularly interested in the later models (78-81?) with wider beam but would be open to any folding 26 in restorable condition. I am only interested in a solid, complete hull and it can be missing some or all of the rigging and mast. This project will involve re-powering the craft as a solar electric cruiser. I would be sure to save all rigging and sail equipment to offer up on here to aid in other restoration projects.

If anyone knows of a boat that could fit these needs (for sale or languishing in a boat yard with unknown status, I can make inquiry calls!) please post here or private message me.

Thanks,

Ryan
Mangodoc

Re: WTB: Telstar 26 project, preferably MkIII or 8m

Post by Mangodoc »

I don’t have any prospects for you but am interested in your plans to convert to electric as I am currently doing this to my 28. What electric motor do you plan to install and what battery configuration will you use? I’m installing an Elco 20hp 48v with 225aH battery bank. I’d love to hear your plans.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Phishman86

Post by Phishman86 »

That Elco looks very nice, but all the commercial "E-outboards" are pretty pricey. I am planning to go a DIY route using a 10-15 hp golf cart motor and controller. These are a fraction of the cost and I can always upgrade later when the price falls for commercial units. You can find several builds on youtube, pretty straight forward to pull the gas motor from a non-running 10hp outboard and reuse the lower unit with an adapter plate/coupler. I am looking at 50's or 60's vintage Johnson, seahorse, mercury etc that has a great aesthetic to refinish and reuse the housing. (note - I am a mechanical engineer by trade so redesigning and fabricating these parts is little to no cost to me.)

Batteries and panels will be my bigger investment as I'd like to have maximum range with this being my only source of propulsion. Now that we are a decade into the age of EV's there is a good supply of used lithium ion cells. The chevy volt battery pack in particular is nice as it is already broken down into 48 volt sections inside the "T" as it comes in the car. I need to get my hands on a boat to decide how many cells and placement, but the idea would be to have enough power storage for 4-6 hours of run time with no sun, unlimited on clear days. Panels would be attached as a roof structure over the rear seating area all the way up to windows of the V berth.

I may go with a cheap pontoon boat as a "prototype" platform first as they are a dime a dozen around NH at the end of the season. I like the Telstar as a long term plan for it's trailerability and full living setup that can handle weekend trips for a family of four. I also want to have the option of both lakes and ocean (Maine coast, boston harbor) which is no where a pontoon boat belongs.
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

That sounds like a great plan. I wish I had the time and experience to DIY the project like you’re doing, but I’m the position where it’s more cost effective for me to spend my time making money and buying the complete product. I really like the idea of getting on old lithium battery from an electric car. I may look into that.

Keep us posted as I know there’s been some interest in going electric on Telstars.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

You might want to consider an early model Mark 1 if you come across one as well. I think they're a bit better built than the later boats.
Phishman86

Post by Phishman86 »

I prefer the larger interior on the later models, but yes I could settle for any 26 if the right deal came along.

I did locate a 1979 for sale in florida but no trailer so no go for me, coat to ship to NH would be more than the boat. It also sounds like a project just to purchase as it's an estate sale. Trying to get the sales guy to take some pictures. He said condition is "poor" and it's been floating in the St Mark's river for 6 years. But hey, it floats!

https://www.shieldsmarina.com/inventory ... 5-2574116i
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Roomer than this?

Or this?

Anyway, I am very interested in your project. I have the aft part of a waverunner glassed into the back of the boat. I wonder how hard it would be to power a jet pump with electricity? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. If my old trailer was fit, I would loan it to you but it's ready for the scrap heap. I'm looking into a new one as soon as I get my boat ready for the boatyard.

Regards,

Lou G.
Phishman86

Post by Phishman86 »

Lou,

That looks very nice!! Not saying MKI's arent great boats, I just know my use will be to camp in it with family and/or friends. If possible I'd like to get the wider cabin and higher ceiling height of the later 26 models.

I appreciate the trailer sentiment too. I'm hopeful one will pop up closer than FL sometime in the next year or so with a more attractive selling and transport arrangement. The marina only ever replied to my first email, sounds like the family/estate situation is difficult to deal with.

In regards to your jet drive, that's a nice clean set up for sure without an outboard hanging off the rear. However I think you are better off with a gas engine in that application. Due to lower efficiency jets need higher RPM and HP to push the same as a prop. You would be looking at a very expensive motor/controller and a LOT of batteries to have any reasonable run time.

One thought came up from looking at your pictures. I understand the center board and mast support are crucial parts of these boats for sailing. But if I am removing all sail power and only ever running on twin electric outboards, would I be able to remove both the support and centerboard housing (plugging hole of course)?
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

One thought came up from looking at your pictures. I understand the center board and mast support are crucial parts of these boats for sailing. But if I am removing all sail power and only ever running on twin electric outboards, would I be able to remove both the support and centerboard housing (plugging hole of course)?

Yep. Removing the centerboard would be easy and if you didn't need to support the mast, I would think that there would be no need for the case and support. The hole in the bottom of the boat will be a slot about 5' x 4" or so. It would be easy to glass over. Actually, the stress on that area makes it a typical problem area for the boat and removing it would eliminate that. With board up or eliminated, the draft on the boat is 18". It is beachable too.

Good luck in your search.

Lou