Telstar 28 for sale fresh water use only

Have something to sell, looking for a specific piece of hardware.... this is the place to be.
gsbpel

Telstar 28 for sale fresh water use only

Post by gsbpel »

Sadly we have to sell our 28. My body has given out after my fall from a roof. Hull number 369 Shadow Princess picked up from the factory in March of 2008.
We have added an 80 watt Sharpe solar panel and an Engle refer unit. The rudder has been upgraded for ease of use and less play. She has a Honda 50 hp.
The motor box pivot bar has been reinforced with bronze bushings and a SS slide plate to keep the fiberglass from wearing away in the guide bar zone. We trailer the boat to Seneca
Lake and from there we use the canal system to other fresh water lakes. As with all Telstars crazing is present and a coat of bottom paint before saltwater use is advised.
triumphesq

Re: Telstar 28 for sale fresh water use only

Post by triumphesq »

Dear gsbpel

Please forward some additional information to me at
debrobburns@sbcglobal.net. Perhaps the asking price?

Look forward to hearing soon. We are ready to buy.

Robert Burns
escape

Post by escape »

Dear gsbpel, can you give more detailed information about the modifications made to the rudder. It has been a problem discussed in another tread but with no solution. I do have some play in the rudder and tiller and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks
Michel
Michel
Chenoa, #377
gsbpel

Post by gsbpel »

Dear Escape
I was going crazy with rudder slap at night and slack in the steering linkage. I have added lock washers to eliminate fasters loosening up and modified the swivel connector by adding a bolt
that can be tightened up and lock pinned in place. The rudder pivot bolt now rides on bronze bushings (oil lite) that I installed due to excessive wear and misalignment in the fiberglass housing. I have cleared all the rudder up and down haul lines of interference by removing wood and fiberglass that was chaffing the lines. I removed the rudder and stone sanded it flat and parallel. I recoated the rudder with new gel-coat and measured the thickness. I then added stainless steel sheet to the rudder housing to eliminate excessive slap. It may not be perfect but I can now sleep at night and not hear the thud with every passing wave. The design of the entire system is really very good considering all the requirements that it must do BUT the factory builders were not trained to eliminate problems like this. The mentality is "if it sticks give it some clearance" usually by grinding, and that just makes matters worse. I also removed some height from the fiberglass Y opening so as not to have any interference when turning with the rudder partially raised and under engine power. We have to back away from the dock and miss the sand bar so a raised rudder and engine are a must. With the proper clearance in the rudder housing we have very good steerage with the rudder high enough to clear the sand bar. Hope this is of some help.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Lots of help thank you. If you have the opportunity to add or pic two that would be great!
Plash Island, AL
USA
escape

Post by escape »

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Pictures would effectively be nice.

The swivel modification is one I was thinking about :-) The bronze bushing is also a good idea, it could bring the rudder a bit forward so the bolt of the swivel on the rudder SS arm side would not touch the fiberglass back panel. The other place where there is some slack is between the tiller post and motor stirring tube/pin. I am still wondering how it can be arrange. :roll:

With all these problems I am thinking of crazy major modifications. :twisted: First placing the motor in a well in the current place of the rudder with a lifting system to keep the propeller out of the water when sailing. Also the propeller would never be out of the water anymore in waves, and give good “thrust” or control on the rudder like an inboard motor does.

Then adding a “box” about 2+ feet’s long at the rear of the main hull and installing a VARA rudder system.http://www.socasailboats.com/VARA_Syste ... ystem.html This would effectively extend the boat length and help the rear buoyancy and maybe gain a little speed. ;) The “box” could be mounted on hinges in case of grounding and hold in place by the current rudder line.

I know it’s crazy ideas but winter is long and cold here so I have lots of time for dreaming...!
Michel
Chenoa, #377
gsbpel

Post by gsbpel »

I would have posted pictures of my rudder upgrades but the boat is wrapped for winter storage. As for the info for DebRobBurns you should have received an email, if you haven"t I can resend
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm also interested in buying a telstar 28. I'd like to know the asking price and more about the boat. contact me at smangels22@gmail.com or six053905039 Steve Mangelsen Rapid City SD
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Is this boat still for sale? Stevem
JEL

Post by JEL »

Is your telstar still for sale

could you email me specifics
jlefler@hotmail.com