75 telstar forsale ebay, anyone know the boat ?

Have something to sell, looking for a specific piece of hardware.... this is the place to be.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Damian -

Someone just imported a boat into Australia and I recall that he mentioned that the 8 feet 2 inch width restriction is on the trailer, and not on the boat itself. I believe that he moved the fenders inboard about 2 inches and that solved the problem. He's on this forum and he'll probably get back to you soon with the details.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Damian -

See the "Trailer Width Modification" thread in the Trailer section. The boat is already in Australia. It's a newer 28 - not sure what trailer or changes could be made for a 26. Different boat.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

Damian -

Hopefully someone with a similar 26 will get back to you. They made a bunch of variations back then - not sure if they built two exactly the same. Maybe the current owner can weigh it? And do not believe any of the factory specs. There's not a builder in the world who publishes anything that's even close to true. The 28 is at least 1,000 pounds heavier than the brochure.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hi Damian,
Yes, I have the boat in Victoria and I am doing some work on it.
I will look at the trailer when the boat is at my mooring in a month or so.
Yes, the trailer dimension of 2.5M IS critical. I hope the be able to move the mud guard a bit just to get thereto register it.
But anyway, you will have to have brakes on all wheels here (Rig over 2T0ns) and electric brakes to be safe and brake away for 10'
That mean swapping the 4 Hubs with disk brakes.
This will be done at a trailer repair center and at that time they may bring the wheels closer to the trailer body and reducing the width.
Boat width is no problem providing you display a Wide load sign.
Boat came on a roll On roll Off ship. No problems.

If I were you, before I buy a boat on e-bay I would fly there to see it.(Flight are cheap at the moment)
I have a friend here who bought a trailer sailer on e-bay with a lot of bad surprises. Unless you can get hold of a VERY competent Surveyor and still you may have surprises!

Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'd think about using electric brakes in salt water - maybe even fresh water as well. They tend to have more problems in water than a sealed hydraulic surge disc system. Waterproofing is the critical issue. Very few marine trailers use real electric sysyems over here. If you can find a system over there that really keeps the water out, then electrics would probably be the better choice. Better control. I've got heavy duty electric brakes on 2 large car haulers (one open, one enclosed)- but they will never get dunked.

Local regulations could change the above. I don't know what they require down under.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello there,

When I talk about electric brakes , I refer to either the ALKO SENS A Brake (best to my opinion) or Hydrastar units, on disk brakes.
They are really are hydraulic pumps on the front of the trailer, and the electronic control is in the car.
The beauty of them is that you can brake the trailer alone from the driving position, and fantastic to break a sway in a stepp descent of when ever the trailer start to sway (if you go too fast of a big semi trailer overpass you!)
B/RGDS
Fred
Ron

Post by Ron »

tricruiser wrote:Hello there,

When I talk about electric brakes , I refer to either the ALKO SENS A Brake (best to my opinion) or Hydrastar units, on disk brakes.
They are really are hydraulic pumps on the front of the trailer, and the electronic control is in the car.
That's probably one of the best ways of stopping a boat trailer. Only disadvantage is the cost. Get a good electronic controller for the truck. I've been using a Tekonsa Prodigy for several years to brake the two 11,000 pound GVW car haulers. Disc brakes IS the way to go as well - especially for something that gets dunked in salt water.
Ron Marcuse