Centerboard Saddle

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
osprey

Centerboard Saddle

Post by osprey »

While I was looking for the bungee cord photo, I ran across my mod for a centerboard support. We discussed this earlier, but I think it was on the old site. Anyway, I'll go ahead and post it and you all can let me know what you think. On my boat the centerboard locking nut will no longer hold the board up when trailering. So I made a saddle that sets on the trailer cross member and supports the centerboard.

Dan

Centerboard Saddle

Post by Dan »

I just use a short line and tie the winch handle to the compression post... it prevents the board from dropping out of the centerboard case. :)
osprey

Centerboard Saddle

Post by osprey »

Hi Dan, Your right tying up the board with the handle works fine, also. That's how I was doing it before I made the saddle. I just find using the saddle less of a hassle. In my case I trailer a lot and on some trips, the boat doubles as a camper. Not having the winch handle in the way makes it easier getting to the head area. As the old saying goes "there's more then one way to skin a cat!"
Ron

Centerboard Saddle

Post by Ron »

Terry, Dan -

The solid support make sense when trailering, or maybe a 3 inch wide strap stretched across the trailer beams or around the boat. The board is attached to the small drum (supposedly PVC) with 3 or 4 wraps of the line around the drum. It does not appear to be physically tied off on the drum itself. In theory, the line could slip on the drum and the board will come down even if the handle is tied to the compression post. The video shows what's actually happening inside the case.

Mine does not slip now, but I'm considering using a strap or support to relieve the drum of that force when trailering the boat on longer trips. Getting the weight off of the line will also stop the line from stretching as much (which could also be the reason for the slippage).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"