Cables hanging when folded

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Peregrine finally got launched yesterday. 30 know winds so I just took it to the slip. I am not brave enough for that for the first sail.

Question,
On the other forum I had seen (but not had a chance to copy) something about a manner (bungees?) to keep the cables from hanging into the water when the boat is folded at the dock. Can someone please put that DIY on this site. Mine are hanging even though when I asked Will he said they had changed some routing to keep that from happening.

Thanks
Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

There could be a trick to reducing the extent that some of the lnes and cables hang down. Mine (359) don't so maybe it helps a drop. Before you tighten and/or winch in the ama's the last few inches with their control lines, pull the trampoline lines as hard as you can. Then winch in the ama's. I believe that it's the trampoline lines that tend to hang more, and they're hard to pull in once the ama's are locked angainst the main hull. because the trampoline can't really slide fore and aft then. You may also have to periodically (once a month?) lubricate the trampolines slides on the main hull to get them to move better.

Just walked outside to look at the boat and trailer to verify the above. There is one stainless steel cable hanging down on each side, lying totally flush against the main hull, but still above the water line. This must be the non pull ama cross cable. I don't see how it can interfere with anything on the trailer or lift. Were some of the complaints about salt water getting to it?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ron
It is the non pull ama cross cable. On both sides and it is hanging below the waterline. IIRC the concern was with it picking up marine growth on the cable as well as just not generally being good for the cable to be in the water for a long time.
Jerry
gary green

Post by gary green »

Mine was one with one of the cross cables hanging in the water on both amas. I used a short bungee and two nylon clips to the cable and the center of the trampoline to take up the slack and keep them out of the water. I copied the idea from a post and picutre on the old site. Works great and have yet to have any problems. Also it does not impede the ability to move the amas out.

gary g.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Just took a photo of the cable on the starboard side. Port side is the same. It's just above the waterline - maybe an inch or so. The question is why is mine out of the water and the others aren't? I think we can adjust the length (and thefore the amount it hangs) when it's on the trailer and unfolded. It should be tight when the ama's are out, right? I may check this out in a few days.

Ron Marcuse
osprey

Post by osprey »

I think you may be referring to an old post of mine. The bungee fix solved the problem for me. I can't seem to figure out how to add a picture to a post, can someone help?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Terry -

There are two ways that I know of. The best (?) is to sign up at some picture server, like photobucket.com. It's free and all you have to do is to copy the photo's there and then paste the IMG command(s) onto your forum post. The other involves attaching files - picture or otherwise. Below the box that you write stuff into, there's a place for "filename" and comments.

Using the IMG command would probably save space on Dan's server.
Ron Marcuse
osprey

Post by osprey »

Thanks Ron, I knew I could link to another site. I was just hoping for an easier way. I went ahead and put the photo in
photobucket. Jerry here is the photo
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Terry,
Thanks.
It looks like:
1. Tied about mid cable length
2. Tied off to the trampoline tie down on the main hull.
3. At max extention when the outrigger is open.
4. About a 3/8" bungee.
Is that all correct (or close enough)?
Jerry
osprey

Post by osprey »

Jerry, That sounds right. The idea is to have the bungee stretched as tight as possible when the ama is open so when you close it, it will pull the cable up and out of the way. I had a bad experance when I first got my boat with that damn cable. My son and I launched the boat and had it clear off the trailer and floating. The wind was blowing about 20Kts right at the ramp. It was all my son could do to hold the boat. That's when I got in a hurry and pulled the trailer out without looking back until I had pulled the boat back up the ramp, sideways! The cable got hung up on the trailer bunk and I didn't know it. So I ended up with a hole punched in the hull. Just another learning experience...the hard way!