Tie Down G5

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
escape

Tie Down G5

Post by escape »

Hi I just installed Tie Down disk brake on my trailer. Quite easy to do but I still one interrogation. I bled the air from the lines as indicated in the manual.

When I activate the piston with the screwdriver the wheels don't completely brake, i can still turn them by hand by applying force,

If I pump the piston 2 or 3 times then the wheels are completely block, is this normal?
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Ron

Re: Tie Down G5

Post by Ron »

Michel -

I'm assuming that you installed 4 of their disc brakes and their controller. Their controller can handle 4 wheel cylinders and you should be able to stop all 4 on the first pump with the screwdriver. I've got 3 of their systems installed on 3 trailers and I can stop them all at the first long pump with the screwdriver. I'd bleed them again. It's a 2 person job - You need someone pumping the master and someone else at the wheels. Start at the furthest wheel. Give the master a good half dozen pumps until there are no bubbles, THEN HOLD IT FIRMLY AT THE LAST STROKE while the other person shuts down that bleeder. Then work your way forward. Keep the master topped up with fluid during the whole process. You should also have pre-bled the master first (by pumping the fluid back into it as you work the piston).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
escape

Post by escape »

thanks, i will check this weekend.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Hi,

I plan to replace mine with 2 sets of disks for the 2 axels. Would you mind asking, where did you buy them? What size and grade of the disks did you use? Mine are going to be occasionally dipped in salt water. Don't want them to rust the first season.

Appreciate your feedback

Andrew
Ron

Post by Ron »

I used the TieDown Engineering 9.6 inch system on all 3 boat trailers. Best prices were at Trailer Parts Superstore, but I'd shop around or google it first to make sure. Also , this store usually puts the system on sale at least twice a year. Get on their mailing list if you want to save a few bucks. TieDown also makes a stainless 10 inch rotor version that supposedly fits now, but check with them first if you want to go that way. It wouldn't have worked on the 13 inch wheels 5 years ago.

I went from total aggravation to absolutely no problems on all 3 boat trailers. The drums get killed in salt water, regardless how careful you are. I even carried a 5 gallon pressure sprayer on the truck to flush them in the event the ramp did not have a nearby water hose. Didn't really help. And the 2 stock drums were almost a joke on this 6500 pound load. It need brakes on all 4 wheels.
Ron Marcuse
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Great, thanks a lot Ron.

I'm planning to install them on both axels. I also did what you suggested in your earlier post, moved the axels 5" to the back. In my case, I have 10hp Suzuki, it's probably a bit too much. Will move them forward by inch or so. Oryginal setting so was bad, when I left dealership and started driving on a highway, the trailer started fishtailing, taking up 3 lanes. It was very scary experience. I was lucky didn't cause an accident. I towed few boats before, but never had trailer balanced so badly. I bought a tongue scale to check its weight before going on the road.

Andrew
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'd leave the axles where they are now and measure the tongue weight first. About 600 to 650 pounds would be perfect. But that could raise the tongue weight beyond what most tow vehicles can handle without a weight distributing hitch - about 5,000 pounds maximum. You're best bet would be to use a weight distributing hitch that won't interfere with the surge brakes. Many of us use the Equal-i-zer hitch. It really helps.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

I've pulled the Telstar with my Avalanche maybe 12,000 miles with it. Other than the nearly blocked back window, you almost don't know the boat and trailer are there. Not sure what you're towing with, but the bigger the better. The bare boat and trailer come in at around 6500 pounds. Add 500+ pounds of gear and you're over 7,000.

By the way, you've GOT to defeat the disc brakes when backing up. You will need a reverse lockout solenoid, which you will wire up to your backup lights. One of the 7 pins on your connector probably already has that wire. Make sure it's the version which puts the brake fluid back into the master cylinder.
P5070009c.JPG
P5070009c.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
Attachments
PA030015.JPG
PA030015.JPG (408.03 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
Ron Marcuse
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Thanks Ron for the pictures.

Actually, after reading your previous post, I was thinking about buying this hitch. I can see, that you are not using pole tongue adapter, I assume it works fine. Did you drill the hole in the tongue or used existing one to bolt the rod brackets?

Right now I drive Toyota 4Runner, it's on the lighter side. Thinking abouut replacing with Toureg TDI, which is rated at 7,500 #.

Thanks

Andrew
Ron

Post by Ron »

" Did you drill the hole in the tongue or used existing one to bolt the rod brackets? "

The trailer and boat are in Florida, and we're in NJ now. As I recall, the stock brackets clamp to the trailer center pole. I don't think I had to drill any holes. I may have used a thin spacer though.

I wouldn't want to drive cross-country with the Toyota 4 Runner pulling this load. That's maybe 4,500 pounds pulling nearly 7,000. Like a 10 pound dog with a 15 pound tail. My Avalanche weighs about 6,500 and can safely pull around 8,500 - with the weight distributing hitch. The long wheel-base really helps.
Ron Marcuse
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Hi Ron,

What is the rating of your Equal-i-zer hitch? 1,000/10,000#?
Doesn't seem, they make one rated for 8,000.

Thanks

Andrew