Kodiak Stainless Steel Disc Brakes

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Hi,

I took my trailer to the local shop to get them to upgrade the brakes to 4 wheel disc brakes as has been much discussed here. After considering many options I decided to spend the $$ to go with stainless steel as I dunk the trailer in salt water a lot and store it next to the bay . I went with 2 set of the 2/RCM-10-SS ALL STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE KIT and Attwood Actuator / Master Cylinder . Also put new SS brake lines in.

The sizing says it needs 14 wheels but the shop was able to fit the kits within the 13 inch wheels by grinding a small amount off the caliper - they said it was easy...

It cost me a pretty penny but now I will feel better when I am towing the boat up to (and especially down from !) Lake Tahoe which requires me to cross the 7000 ft Donner pass en route.

Attached are some pics..

- Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Ron

Post by Ron »

Good brakes and a good move. I knew they wouldn't fit out of the box. I didn't want to chance it because I bought the brakes on the internet and did the work myself. A fairly easy fix though. The rotors are also ventilated, like the Tie-Downs.

Have you towed the trailer with the boat on it yet? The difference in the braking ability of the tow vehicle and trailer is significant.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Thanks Ron,

I have not had the boat on the trailer yet but will do next week as I need to take the engine in for service. However, I can already feel the difference in towing the trailer itself. Much less banging about and pressure on the tow vehicle when braking. I am very interested to see how it works with the boat on.. will let you know..
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA