Tie down straps on boat lift

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm going to leave the boat on my lift down here in Forida for the extended summer (about 6 months), sails off and mast down. To protect against severe weather (hurricanes, etc.), I plan on strapping the boat to the lift and then strapping the lift's cradle to two of the four pilings (opposing corners). That's normal procedure down here. The boat will be covered as well, after it is strapped down. A photo of the lift and boat is below. It is constructed like the Venture trailer, with the same 6 bunks on the main hull and ama's.

I've got two choices. Run 2 or 3 inch webbing ratchet straps over the boat, each end hooked to the main cradle rails, one fore and one aft. Or run 1 1/2 inch straps from some stable mounting points on the boat (cleats, etc.) to and from each cradle rail. Since each would use two runs of webbings (up and then back down), that would more than equal the load carrying of the larger strap over the top.

The location of the lifts rails would make it easier to do option 2, at least on the aft straps. The front strap will probably be a 3 inch going over the deck just forward of the forward window, but I might change my mind and do the pair instead. The attachement points on the boat I'm thinking about are the big inside hinge pins (mounted to the deck and hull) which are very accessable when the boat is folded. I recall Tony saying you could easily lift the boat on these inside hinges. Does anyone think they could not take a substantial lifitng force?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Answered by own question. I wound up using the big yellow ratchet straps going over the boat, fore and aft. Cover was a pain in the ___ to get on. Getting to the water side was tricky. Wound up buying a 4x8 floating work platform. First time I've done it, hopefully it will be easier next year.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"