What vehicle do you use to tow your T2?

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
PMcG

Post by PMcG »

I used these on my E150 van to tow 7000lb car trailer. http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/ride ... info.shtml
Ron

Post by Ron »

PMcG wrote:I used these on my E150 van to tow 7000lb car trailer. http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/ride ... info.shtml
That's great for level towing, but it won't stop the hitch from see-sawing a few hundred pounds off of the trucks front axle. The rear axle is the pivet point with a bunch of hitch weight behind it. Press down in back, other end of see-saw goes up. That's your front tires. As Iv'e said before, leveling and weight equalization are totally different animals. The better weight distribution hitces (like the Equal-I-Zer) will also give you some sway control via friction in the torsion bars as they start to move sideways because of a shifting trailer.

You want to avoid all of this - get a truck with a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup in the bed and modify the trailer to use it. The tongue weight then goes directly over the back tires. By far the best way to tow anything heavy or large.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

Here I my setup.

trashpad

Post by trashpad »

Before Ron has a heart attack, I was just checking out the ramp. I would never think of towing Reboot behind my Jeep.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Ha, Ha. I figured it was pulling the empty trailer before I saw the 2nd message. You'd have to be crazy to use a jeep with a 2,000 pound rating to pull the 6500 pound load. I wouldn't be having a heart attack either - it's your life not mine.

The forward bunk is totally out of the water. I think you'll have to back further in to push the boat off.
Ron Marcuse
rbw

Post by rbw »

I tow with a Jeep Liberty diesel and have hauled hull # 306, Troutlily, about 1200 miles with no incidents. Mileage is about 12.5 mpg at 60-65 mph and 15 mpg at 50 mph. It will climb the steepest grades I have encountered at 50 mph. With the equalizer cranked up about four notches from no load, there is no swaying at all.

Cheers,
Rick
Ron

Post by Ron »

Rick -

Glad to know that you haven't had any problems towing the Telstar with the Liberty. But - be aware that the Liberty is rated at a maximum of 5,000 pounds WITH a load leveling hitch, and that the Telstar and trailer weigh approx 6,500 (with the Honda 20, more with the 50). Horse Power or Torque is not the real limiting factor - it's what the tow vehicle's brakes, suspension and axles can safely carry or pull. And your pulling the 6500 pounds with a 4200 pound truck. Sounds like the tail wagging the dog. And note that this dog's tail has 2 wheel drum brakes, which can safely stop around 3,000 pounds. What's stopping the other 3,500 pounds - the 4200 pound Liberty? Good luck.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Just be aware that you're violating some basic safety rules.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Just to add another data point to this string I have been towing Peregrine with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 6 cylinder 6 speed. The Tacoma has the "tow package" with is rated at 6,500 lbs and the weight distributing hitch.

The longest trip was from Annapolis to Vermont last spring and then launching, retrieving and the like since.

Observations:

1, The truck is adequate but the engine is not. The Tacoma has pretty high torque for a 6 cylinder and I was able to keep the highway speeds I was holding (55) until I hit the higher hills in northern New York and Vermont dropping to 45 on the steepest. Stability felt good and tracking was fine.

2, I am glad I was not aware of the inadequate (single axle) brakes at the time and will be changing to 4 brakes this summer once Peregrine is launched. I have not decided to go disk yet as I am launching in fresh water but I probably will just for the piece of mind.

Overall the Tacoma will be fine for a couple years (with trailer breaks fixed) so long as and not taking long trips however, when I change trucks in the future or if I plan a long trip I will go with something larger like a Tundra or larger Ford.

Ultimately I want to trailer to FL and sail to a friends home in the Bahamas leaving Peregrine there for a winter.

Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

This is a generic problem. Most gasoline powered cars or trucks will have trouble climbing a grade with 6500 pounds behind them. That's the nature of gasoline motors where adaquate torque is not developed until the 3000+ rpm range. You're driving on level ground at perhaps 2000 rpm in high gear with no problems. Hit a 4 percent grade and the motor doesn't have enough torque at that rpm to do it so the transmission downshifts to 4th, then 3rd, etc. and you wind up doing around 4,000 rpm. My Avalanche has wound up in 2nd gear even on a few steep bridges.

Diesel motors are better suited for this. One of their benefits is that it has significantly more torque at all engine speeds and its starts to develop it at near idle. At 2,000 rpm it's already in its maximum power range and there is no need for a downshift on most grades - so you wind up climbing the hill in 5th or 6th gear at 2,000 rpm. My next truck will be a diesel probably. Too bad both GM and Ford put their new 5 liter diesel motors slated for their 1/2 ton trucks on hold. I don't really want or need a 1 ton truck.
Ron Marcuse
seicam

Post by seicam »

Just to add to this thread - I use NIssan Pathfinder with a V8 engine. It's tow rating is 7000 pounds. I too would prefer a diesel, but for some reason on US market desiel engines are mounted only on the biggest trucks.

So far I have not towed for more than 50 miles. This year I spent extra time adjusting my equilizer hitch to make sure the front and the back of the car are placed at the same height. Had to add a few extra washers on top of the standard 5 ones. It's hard to beleive what a difference it made. While on earlier trips last year I could notice some sway and the front of the car felt "light", this time the whole rig was running straight all the time and I almost not felt I am pulling anything. And that was during one of the worst weather we had in a couple months - rain and wind up to 40 mph.
Power-wise and torque-wise the Nissan works well. It will still downshift, as Ron stated, when goign uphill, but other than that it's very reasonable. No problems pulling the boat on the ramp, having a 4-wheel drive lo-speed switch helps with that. I would definitely recommend this for someone who wants to have a tow vehicle with still a reasonalbe gas mileage (while not towing) and fit in a regular garage.

Regards,
Maciek