Height of boat on trailer

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
occasion

Post by occasion »

Can anyone tell me the height of the boat on the trailer? I'm researching indoor storage and want to know the clearance needed to the ground.

Sandy
Occasion
seicam

Post by seicam »

I was told by PCI it is 11 feet, but I have not verified myself.

Regards,
Maciek
Ron

Post by Ron »

I measured it 2 years ago. Boat's in Florida now, I'm in NJ. I think it was more like 11 feet 4 inches WITH the "D" frame up. Probably just under 11 feet with it unbolted and down. I think the older boats had this frame on slides to lower it without pulling the two bolts.

Note that this is from memory. Maybe someone else can measure it now - or I can in about 5 weeks.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Removing or lowering the "D" frame will take off a few inches. Other than that, lowering the height of the boat could be dfficult. Since the mast is the culprit, how would you do that? It's supported at the middle by the rotating platform and the fixed length "A" and "B" frames up front. You'd have to remove all of this stuff first.

You could pull off the trailer wheels, and lower the trailer frame onto some dollies.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

I've been using dollies for years to move project cars around, with or without wheels on the cars. There's no reason why it wouldn't work on a trailer frame. You'd probably need 2 floor jacks to get the boat and trailer on the dollies. Not sure if you'd need 2 or 4 dollies on the main part of the frame (plus the wheel tongue jack in front), 4 would probably be safer. Maybe some 4x4's for spacers too. I'd put one dolly in front of the axles, one in back (per side), jack it up and remove the wheels, then lower it onto enough wood per dolly to allow the leaf springs and/or brakes to be just above the ground. Only problem I see is getting over a lip if it has one at the door.

Small salvage wheels may not fit over the brake drums or rotors/calipers.
Ron Marcuse