Trailer width modification

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello,
Would anyone have information and/or experience with he modification of the Venture trailer to bring the width to 98" to comply with some overseas countries roads regulations?

Many Thanks
Ron

Post by Ron »

It may not help. The boat itself is 102 inches wide when folded. Trailer is approx same width as folded boat. The 4 ama supports dictate the trailer width, and they cannot really be moved inboard. Even if you could (by angling then off of a 96 inch wide trailer), wouldn't the 98 inch regulation involve the boat as well?

There are a couple of states in the US which have special "wide load" rules for above 96 inches but no one seems to inforce them.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,

Thank you for reply.
The boat/Load can be wider . No problems, I would just have a sign "OVERSIZE" front and back and 4 flags.
I have been told that some trailers were modified to conform with European rules.
The problems is that I need an import permit to import the boat and will not get road registration if trailer is over 2.5Meters (98")
Surely it must be possible to support the amas with 2" less on each side supports?
Thanks
Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

Not sure if you've seen the standard Telstar 28 trailer yet. There's a photo attached. The widest part of the trailer is probably the wheels and fenders.

Note the 4 small adjustable bunks mounted above the outside rails. These hold up the amas. You would have to find a slightly narrower trailer (98 inches vs 102) and then mount something similar at an angle to do the same job. The supports have to wind up under the amas, but you could remove them when measuring the width.

The 2 curved bunks hold up the main hull and the small adjustable supports near the forward and aft ends stabilize the deck when the boat is opened on the trailer. These are mounted to galvanized beams that span the trailers width. I would imagine that they are also close to 102 inches wide, but you could probably cut 2 inches off of each end. The ama bunks are welded on to the end of the main hull support beams.

Alhough the boat is advertised as 102 inches wide folded, it is actually a little wider. Around 103 inches as I recall. Because of the shape, it would be very difficult for anyone to measure if you get stopped on the highway.
Ron Marcuse
Graham

Post by Graham »

I don't know if this would help you, but when I was at Performance last year there was a gray Telstar in the yard. I took photos of the boat sitting on the trailer. Later I was told that this was the telstar that was brought back from Europe and had a European trailer which was different than US models. If you can use the photos let me know. Graham
Ron

Post by Ron »

I took a look at my trailer today as I parked it for the next 5 or 6 months. We're leaving for NJ in about 8 days and the boat is staying down here in Florida. If you remove the 4 support beams, the wheels and fenders are definitely the widest part of the trailer, by perhaps 10 or more inches in total. There is absolutely no reason why you can't bolt these 4 beams to a slightly narrower trailer. If these beams are more than 98 inches wide, just do it after it goes thru customs and is registered. If I have a chance in the next few days I'll measure the widest beam.

Graham - post one of the photo's here. I'm curious. Give me a ride on your telstar this summer. I'll be missing mine. I'll be sailing off of my NJ driveway on a 20 foot ComPac Horizon cat boat. Easiest boat to launch and rig I've ever seen.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Graham wrote:I don't know if this would help you, but when I was at Performance last year there was a gray Telstar in the yard. I took photos of the boat sitting on the trailer. Later I was told that this was the telstar that was brought back from Europe and had a European trailer which was different than US models. If you can use the photos let me know. Graham
Hello Graham,

Yes, I would not mind a copy of that picture. Tks
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Ron wrote:Not sure if you've seen the standard Telstar 28 trailer yet. There's a photo attached. The widest part of the trailer is probably the wheels and fenders.

Note the 4 small adjustable bunks mounted above the outside rails. These hold up the amas. You would have to find a slightly narrower trailer (98 inches vs 102) and then mount something similar at an angle to do the same job. The supports have to wind up under the amas, but you could remove them when measuring the width.

The 2 curved bunks hold up the main hull and the small adjustable supports near the forward and aft ends stabilize the deck when the boat is opened on the trailer. These are mounted to galvanized beams that span the trailers width. I would imagine that they are also close to 102 inches wide, but you could probably cut 2 inches off of each end. The ama bunks are welded on to the end of the main hull support beams.

Alhough the boat is advertised as 102 inches wide folded, it is actually a little wider. Around 103 inches as I recall. Because of the shape, it would be very difficult for anyone to measure if you get stopped on the highway.
Hello Graham,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am expecting the boat/trailer in a while.
Will see what I can do with the existing trailer but it is likely I will have to use a new trailer with disk brakes on 4 wheels, electronic brakes with brake away and relocate the specific brackets to support the boat.

A bit expensive but I am facing very stringent roads rules!

B/RGDS
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Ron wrote:It may not help. The boat itself is 102 inches wide when folded. Trailer is approx same width as folded boat. The 4 ama supports dictate the trailer width, and they cannot really be moved inboard. Even if you could (by angling then off of a 96 inch wide trailer), wouldn't the 98 inch regulation involve the boat as well?

There are a couple of states in the US which have special "wide load" rules for above 96 inches but no one seems to inforce them.
Lucky them!!!!
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hi Ron,

The regulation to 2.50 M wide applies only to the trailer!( Vehicle regulations)
The load itself can be as larger of 3 Meters!
But when towing, I need to display a "Wide load display and flags. That is not a problem.
So, I will probably get a new basic trailer at 2.50M, add all the brackets and supports.
Anyway, I need brakes on all 4 wheels and as I do not like the drums brakes, the wheels assembly anyway will go.
Will post the final results sometimes later in August probably.
Tricruiser