Boat ramp

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
trashpad

Boat ramp

Post by trashpad »

I am going to pull Reboot next week and was wondering how long and deep the ramp needs to be? Does the front pad need to be underwater much?
Ron

Boat ramp

Post by Ron »

Didn't think you had a trailer. Depending on the angle of the ramp, it should be 4 feet or deeper at the far end. I'd be very uncomfortable if it was less than about 40 feet long, including the piece under water. Find out what the ramp is made of - some have concrete up to the low water line and dirt or gravel beyond that. Avoid those if you can. If the ramp has a lip at the end, make sure you do not back the tires up past it. I carry a 6 foot pvc pipe with me to check the water depth and whats at the end. I've seem the concrete end with a 2 foot drop down to soft mud. You do not want to go over that - you'll hook the trailer tires on the wall and they'll have to lift you out with a barge mounted crane.

You are going to get the trailer tongue wet, so make sure you flush out the brake actuator (and the brakes) with fresh water afterwards. Use the hose on the trucks rear axle and brakes as well - they will probably be in the water. Bring a garden tank sprayer along in case the ramp does not have a hose.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
seicam

Boat ramp

Post by seicam »

I usually back such that my SUV rear tires are dipped a bit in the water. That puts the trailer fenders about 1-2 inches underwater, and the front pads are underwater as well, but not much. I usually try not to get the trailer tonque wet. That is of course for the ramp I use, and depends on ramp's grade.
The boat can be moved fairly easily over the traier and as soon as the front bunk catches the main hull it will straighten itself well over the trailer. From there you need to winch it up until the bow touches the winch support. It is recommended that as soon as you get the boat out of the water you loosen the winch so the boat does not pull on it. It should be sitting on the trailer by its weight and then you can secure it with straps.

Ron is right about flushing the breaks with freshwater. I did not do that first 2 times and my breaks got stuck while trailer was in the dry moorage. After that I make sure I wash the trailer, and the breaks after each use. Not sure about the older trailers, but the one I have came with a break flush hose hookup - comes very handy.

Regards,
Maciek
trashpad

Boat ramp

Post by trashpad »

Thanks for the info,

I went to the ramp at my marina today and it looks like it is to short and shallow. There is another ramp at the Key Bridge that is listed and "steep" that I will go check out.
Ron

Boat ramp

Post by Ron »

The two ramps I use down in Florida, and the one I had used several times last year in NJ all get the tongue into the salt water. But I bought a 4 foot hitch extension, which I mount with a short draw bar and 2 inch ball (removing the heavy Equal-I-Zer hitch), at the 3 ramps. The extra 4 feet keeps the trucks rear axle and brakes nearly dry. I would not drive with it though - it's only usage is at the ramp.

The last smaller sail boat I had with a keel was a real pain to launch. Needed over 5 1/2 feet of water and the truck would have been entirely in the water, but the trailer had a 12 foot extension with tongue that slid out of the frame. It was fun backing this 65+ foot rig (truck and trailer) into the water.

I think that the average ramp will get the Venture's tongue wet unless you can manhandle the boat off and then back on to the trailer. I prefer to slide it off and then float it back on. Don't want to unnecessarily strain the U bolt on the bow. Remember that you also have to move the winch support forward to retrieve the boat. The best incicator of where the boat goes is the deck supports in back - line up the 2 stainless bars with the now black line of the 2 supports.

I put Tri-Power on the trailer today. The marina wanted $100 to travel-lift it onto the Venture. Worth every penny. Keeps the brakes and actuator dry. Heading for Florida in about 5 days - this time with 8 wheel ventilated disc brakes (4 on truck, 4 on trailer). This is the first time I feel really comfortable with the Venture behind me. I also moved the axles back around 4 inches. In a day or two I'll report what that did to the tongue weight. It's way too low (400 pounds) considering the weight of the trailer and boat.
Ron Marcuse
trashpad

Boat ramp

Post by trashpad »

The front pad is just getting wet here. The tires of the Jeep are still a few feet from the water.
This looks like a good ramp. I tried the ramp at my marina and the ramp stopped at the low tide mark and there was sand after that.
Ron

Boat ramp

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

Looking at the picture, you may(?) be able to muscle the boat off of the front bunk. But I don't think I'd want to winch it in onto a carpeted bunk. Rollers maybe. The 50 hp Honda may be able to drive it up, but I'd go further back into the water. I tend to push it off and float it on. Do you have a smaller tow vehicle to pull the boat? Maybe a golf cart?
Ron Marcuse
trashpad

Boat ramp

Post by trashpad »

Don't be knocking the Jeep now.

I stopped right when the water started to come over the lower section on the fwd pad. This was to get a good reference mark. This ramp is steep and long so I can go back several feet and get most of the pad wet and still keep the tongue dry.
trashpad

Boat ramp

Post by trashpad »

Hey Ron,

Here is the weight info from pulling Reboot out.

Truck n Trailer --- Truck n Trailer n Boat
3720 ---------------- 3680 (-40) ------- Steer Axle -
3600 ---------------- 3640 (+40) ------- Drive Axle
1640 ---------------- 6460 (+4820) --- Trailer Axle
8960 ---------------- 13780 (+4820) --- Gross Weight

The tow vehicle was a new Chevy 3/4 ton big V8 4X4. It was raining on the drive to the scale house with Reboot so that might have added some weight. Also, Reboot was full and in cursing trim. She had several gallons of fuel and there was some water in the tank and in the Amas. I plan to put her on a diet and reweigh her in a few weeks on the way back to the bay.

I cannot explain the tongue weight. I know it is more than I can squat lift so it is more than 80 lbs. The boat pulled great with no fishtailing or swaying. We did only have to go 15 or 20 miles and most of that were back roads but it did feel safe back there. If we gad to go any distance like you snow birds I can see why you would make the trailer changes.
Ron

Boat ramp

Post by Ron »

Your table seems to read that the empty trailer axles are 1640 pounds, and 6460 with the boat. Not sure about the tongue weight - it almost looks like it's 80 pounds more with the boat on the trailer. I think they actually are about 170 pounds for the empty trailer and around 390 with a 20 hp boat on it. But ???

You've got the 50 hp Honda, right? That could explain the slightly heavier axles and lighter tongue. The extra 100 pounds are see-sawing weight off of the tongue - and onto the axles.

I launched Tri-Power on Sunday. Did not get the tongue wet - was able to slide it off. Getting it back on the trailer is a different matter though.

After 4 trips to or from Florida with the 2 drums and 1 trip with the 4 discs, I've got to say that anyone who really trailers this boat has got to upgrade the brakes and move the axles back. Night and day. 6% of the weight on the tongue and 3500 pounds of brake stopping power are way under any reasonable safety limits.
Ron Marcuse