Trailer Finished

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
tricruiser

Trailer Finished

Post by tricruiser »

Interesting reading about the trailer modifications.

I quite agree with Ron about 4 wheels all disk brakes (Compulsory here in Australia for rigs over 2T)
I used an electric /Hydraulic system install well above possible water level on my previous boat/trailer. and a weight leveler.
Works miracle! especially when going downhill and you can brake your trailer from the vehicule cabin and straighten you rig instantly!

My problem is that I have to use fairly low gradient ramps and have to immerse the trailer including the trailer tongue quite far.
Does anybody have extended the trailer shaft and tongue to get the boat to float?
Ron suggested me to do it on my truck, but I have a Jeep GC and cannot do it there
Tricruiser
Ron

Trailer Finished

Post by Ron »

I have a 3 foot hitch extender which plugs into the trucks 2 inch square receiver, then mount a small normal hitch with 2 inch ball (non weight distributing) in the 2 inch receiver at the end. This usually helps to keep the trucks brakes and axle out of the salt water on a long shallow ramp. BUT I DO THIS AT OR NEAR THE RAMP. You can't tow with the extension because of weight limitations on the extender. The chains won't reach either. The weight distributing hitch is just too heavy to mount on the extension.

One of my previous trailer boats had a keel and that trailer had a 12 foot steel beam with tongue that pulled out from below the trailers main center beam. I needed over 6 feet of water to float it off or onto the trailer and I would have had to back the truck all of the way into the water to do it without extending the lower tongue. Once again you cannot tow with this sort of extension either.

Is your electric/hydraulic actuator waterproof? I think that would be critical for this under water application, especially in salt water. I know they make them. You also have to watch the hydraulic pressure that they generate. Most hydraulic systems would have problems if you go over 1000 psi, and maybe even lower if rubber is used on the flexible portions of the brake lines.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Re: Trailer Finished

Post by Gene »

I was scrolling through the Venture Trailer website recently and noticed that they DO NOT recommend weight distribution hitches with their trailers. Apparently these hitches place extra burdens on the trailer's tongue which they are NOT designed to handle. Just one more reason not to underspec a trailer!
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

"they DO NOT recommend weight distribution hitches with their trailers"

What's the alternative considering the 650 pound tongue weight that you should have with a 6500 pound trailer? That's 150 pounds more than most of the towing vehicles can safely handle. Are they recommending that you need a one ton pickup (Ford 350, GM 3500) to pull this kind of load? You can forget about using a mid-size truck. My Chevy 1500 which can pull about 9,000 pounds also has the 500 pound tongue weight limitation.

I think they are wrong!!. Remember, these are the people who designed and sold you a trailer to handle 6500 pounds with 2 tiny drum brakes. That's totally unsafe, and also illegal in most states. I've been using the Equalizer hitch for more than 5 years now. No problems at all. The trailers heavy duty center draw bar where the hitch attaches to already has a 650 pound upward load on it. The ball is pushing up. The weight distributing hitch is causing an equal force in the opposite direction. Are they scared that their steel box beam will twist?
Ron Marcuse
Gene

Post by Gene »

I agree with you Ron wholeheartedly! I think every trailer over say 5000 lbs should be designed for use with a weight distributing hitch. Venture is obviously $$$ driven. I don't think "safety" is even a real consideration, dollar driven at the minimum requirements... Tony could have done a little better as well...
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

Gene -

I took a look at the Venture web site. Their concern with weight distributing hitches is that some of them may interfere with the surge brakes. When stopping, the main beam of the trailer pushes into the coupler assembly thereby pushing the piston into the master brake cylinder inside and applying the brakes. I imagine that some hitches will cause this, but not the Equalizer with it's sliding torque beams or any with chains between the torque arms are and the trailer. Both will allow fore and aft movement so you can ignore what Venture says. I wouldn't drive more than 10 miles or exceed 30 mph without a weight distributing hitch. And that's with my 6300 pound Avalanche pulling. That 650 tongue weight would be taking weight away from the trucks front axle and putting it onto the rear axle. Like a see-saw.

They point this out without a good explanation of how to get around it. Hey, they'll also gladly sell you a 10,000 pound gvw trailer with no brakes at all.
Ron Marcuse
Gene

Post by Gene »

Is it OK to use a weight-distributing hitch with my boat trailer?
We do not advocate the use of load distributing hitches on boat trailers. Part of the problem is the concern with brake interference. If improperly adjusted, brake performance could be degraded. The basic premise with a weight-distributing hitch is to transfer load between the frame of the tow vehicle and the towed unit. In effect, it can serve to lock the two frames together. The wishbone design of a boat trailer, in conjunction with the use of a load distributing hitch, places a disproportionate amount of stress on the tongue member of the boat trailer frame. The tongue, already the most highly stressed boat trailer frame member, is then required to perform above its design parameters.
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

"Is it OK to use a weight-distributing hitch with my boat trailer?"

Unless you have a 1 ton or larger pickup, I don't see how it can be avoided. Most trucks, even 1500 pound full size ones, have a 500 pound limitation regarding tongue weight for a non-weight distributing hitch. The 650 pound tongue weight of the Telstar/Venture combo exceeds this. The real problem is that it will see-saw close to 650 pounds OFF of the trucks front axle - and move it back to it's rear tires. Assuming that a 6,000 pound truck has 3,000 pounds on each axle, this will make it 2350 and 4300 respectively - including the 650 pound weight of the hitch. Remember that you're taking weight off of the front tires. Guess where it goes. A 4500 pound truck could be in trouble here.

You should measure the trailers tongue weight first. Mine was about 650, yours could be different. And you could always move stuff inside the boat aft if needed. But - get the tongue weight much lower and it will screw up the handling.

Or you could get a smaller lighter boat.
Ron Marcuse
wooden

Post by wooden »

This discussion is beyond my expertise, but I can tell you that my Grand Cherokee has a class IV towing package that has a tongue weight capacity of 1200 pounds and a total towing capacity of 7400 pounds. I have been very pleased with the strength and stability of this vehicle while towing the boat. However, I have not towed it outside of the Keys and probably have not exceeded 50mph.

Steve
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Post by Gene »

My Nissan Titan with "Big Tow Package" has done well too... including a Cape Cod to Gulf Coast run after 7 years with admittedly minimal maintenance. That said... there's no way trailer manufacturers should get away with what they do. 3500 lb brake ratings on a 6k plus load!
Plash Island, AL
USA