Trailer spring measurements

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I moved both axles back around 4 inches today to improve the weight distribution while towing. Boat and trailer weigh about 6500 pounds in total and there is about 420 pounds on the tongue, leaving around 6100 pounds on the tires. The tongue weight should be at least 550 pounds, and with the axles moved back and all 4 sails stored as far forward as possible, I should be a little higher than that now.

I measured everything carefully before I did the job but I don't like the geometry of the setup now. The one measurement I need to check this is the distance between the 3 spring perch tabs. The outer spring perch tabs are fixed on a sliding plate and the middle one is adjustable. I assumed the spacing was the same, not sure about that now.

If anyone has his empty trailer handy, could you measure the distance from the vertical tab hanging down from the frame holding the forward spring eye to the vertical tab in the middle (that holds the swing lever holding both spring eyes. I need the inside distance between these two tabs, and then the inside distance between that middle tab and the back tab holding the back spring eye. I set it up with 26 1/2 inches between tab 1 and tab2, and the same between tab 2 and tab 3.

Addendum -

PROBLEM FIXED. But I am curious if the two springs have the same length on their respective brackets.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
dcsailing1

Post by dcsailing1 »

Ron, I no longer have the factory setup as I moved the axles back all I could, about 5 ¼ “ after getting the boat in the slip. We have a 50 hp and the boat trailer has always been way light on the tongue. I didn’t do a measure to center the swing lever and center like you did but rather used the “eyeball” method to set the swing lever level, not on a slab but grass. Perhaps I should have measured then since I have about 27” rear spacing and about 26 ¼ front spacing and the swing lever is not quite level. So the front wheels are loaded slightly more then the rear. I may have to do a fine adjust.

Wrong thread, but did PC or Venture ever respond to the under braked trailer issue?
Ron

Post by Ron »

dcsailing1 wrote:Wrong thread, but did PC or Venture ever respond to the under braked trailer issue?
NO !!! They haven't responded to anything lately. My phone calls and emails and everyone elses as far as I know. I must have tried to reach Will a dozen times in the last 3 weeks. He's never even there, and they suggest to email him and leave a message. Same results. Ask for anyone else and they are not there either. Anyone in the Annapolis area who drives by should stop in and see what's happening (Kurt, Bob, etc,). I think they just got 4 orders for Gemini's and the Annapolis show is right around the corner, so that could explain it. But it doesn't make it right.

I'm annoyed at this, but I'm still not interested in going the legal route. Besides, my trailer is just about perfect now - and few owners seem to think that this is a real problem.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"