Trailer woes

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.

Moderator: Ron

Re: Trailer woes

Postby Ron » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 am

There is nothing really wrong with the base trailer. Tony had no idea that he was screwing it up. Other than building it with single axle brakes, Venture probably did not know what Tony was doing. Assuming you did most of the work yourself, you'd be spending less than 1,000 to get it right. Figure around 400 for the brakes and another 200 for the tires, maybe 400 if you wanted to replace the wheels as well. You'd have to pay extra for disc brakes on any new trailer.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #59 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Postby Mangodoc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:07 am

My final decision for a temporary solution to my trailer problem is to pay to have the boat and trailer loaded on a flatbed and moved for me. I got a guy on uShip with a 40' trailer and winch doing it for $850 for the 600 mile trip. I'm not afraid of trailering the boat for short distances at low speeds for launch, recovery and storage, but I have nightmarish visions of bad things happening when a tire blows on the interstate because the rig is overloading the tires. Eventually I'll want a more permanent solution, and when that time comes I'll weigh the advantages of upgrading wheels, tires, brakes, leaf springs, winch, etc with just replacing the trailer altogether. I appreciate all the advice, especially letting me know how much overweight my rig is, and look forward to more when I consider a permanent solution.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Mangodoc

Postby Mangodoc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 am

The adventure continues. The trailer guy arrived, we started winching the boat and trailer onto the flatbed and got 2/3 of the way up when the boat trailer bottomed out because the flatbed ramp was too steep. After an abundance of head scratching, I finally paid a tow company to lift the boat and trailer up using two trucks, drive the flatbed underneath, and lower them onto it, as follows:
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG (30.52 KiB) Viewed 51 times

It worked (at great expense), as evidenced by:
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG (25.83 KiB) Viewed 51 times

and we drove home without further incident. Once arrived, I paid a marina with a travel lift to take the boat and trailer off like this:
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG (28.39 KiB) Viewed 51 times

So Trinity is finally home, we've been sailing and all is well. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't wasted the money replacing bearings, light kit, five tires, hiring a flatbed, two tow trucks and a travel lift, and had invested all that money into a new aluminum trailer with 15" tires and electric brakes and hauled it myself, the right way, the first time.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Mangodoc

Previous

Return to Trailers and Such