clearance with mast lowered

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
dsolomon

clearance with mast lowered

Post by dsolomon »

We live in Turks and Caicos - am seriously considering a Telstar 28 (I owned a Hunter 24 before we moved here from the US - sailed it on a lake). Main use would be day sailing in Grace Bay (maybe up to some of the smaller islands). Possibly an occasional overnight trip.

Would prefer a multihull for two reasons: stability and draft (with coral reefheads here and there).

Our unique problem: our house has a dock on a dead end canal (canal not so wide, so the collapsible amas means my boat when docked won't block the canal) that goes out to a marina and the bay, BUT there is a low bridge (7 foot or so clearance at high tide).

What is the actual clearance when the mast is lowered? One seller said the boat is about 5 feet above the waterline and the mast (when lowered) is about 2.5 feet higher = 7.5 total.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Solomon
vancouver

Re: clearance with mast lowered

Post by vancouver »

I don't have the height above water, but 7.5 is much closer than 5. You need to also be cautious about raising and lowering on the water. One owner got hit by a wake in the middle and it caused a fair about a damage. The poles are not really designed to take much lateral motion of the mast.
escape

Post by escape »

Hi, I will measure the clearance when I get home from work.

I agree with Vancouver, the system is ingenious, but is rather fragile, I bended the poles a few times. There are many ropes that tend to get stuck everywhere ... the good thing is you can stop anytime during the process. I never raise or lower the mast with side winds and usually I do it on the trailer.

I tried once keeping the main sail on the boom but I did not like how the battened Kevlar sail rested against the mast.

It is a very good system, but not for day sailing. Collapsing the amas can be done daily.

Michel
Michel
Chenoa, #377
escape

Post by escape »

My boat is out of the water and the mast is up, but I measured from the water line to the top of the back arch + the mast size and I am 6 feet 8 inch. You can add 2 or 3 inches for the B frame, so it close to 7 feet.

Michel
Michel
Chenoa, #377