Trailer/lift main hull supports

A forum about Trailering, Launching and Retrieving the Telstar.
captainzman

Re: Trailer/lift main hull supports

Post by captainzman »

Nice lift, Ron. Did you fabricate the hull supports or did you buy them from PCI? In any case, it looks like a set of cushioned pads on a rocking mount will stand-in just fine as long, as you noted, that they are in the correct spot on the hull. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Regards,
Z
---sailing often into the sunset.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Just remember that you've got to support the weight over as much of the center hull's beam in these two locations as possible. Too much in a small area could cause some damage. Very little weight is on the 4 pads under the ama's. They are intended to keep it from tipping over, especially on a moving trailer. I got the two bunks from PC. I don't think you have that option now.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
douelli

Post by douelli »

Thx for the replies.

Although the answer might be the same, I was not actually not talking about the bunks but the adjustable supports for the outer hulls.

Any difference?

Many thx.
Ron

Post by Ron »

The main reason for the 4 ama bunks is to keep the boat from tipping over on the highway when taking a turn or other maneuver with the loaded trailer. The hull could rotate a drop on the 2 curved bunks holding up the main hull while driving. A secondary reason is to take some load off of the 8 hinges. Once the boat is loaded on the trailer, you adjust the 4 ama bunks to just support the amas. You do NOT try to lift them. Something like 98% of the weight should be on the two big curved main hull bunks. That's one of the reasons why you should lower the ama bunks when launching - so you have to adjust them properly after you retrieve it. I'd also try to reposition the boat exactly where it was when you took it off. And no matter what anybody tells you, it should be tightly strapped down with heavy duty webbed straps if you're going to move it more than a mile or so.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
daveinthekeys

Post by daveinthekeys »

I am about to modify a boat lift for the Telstar 28 and am also looking for the main hull supports vs sharing them with the trailer.
If anyone wants to get these custom made. I am happy to share some costs.