Line Replacements

Tips and posts general maintenance.
onremlop

Line Replacements

Post by onremlop »

I am in the process of replacing some of my lines. I think I am going to go with 8 mm dyneema (15 ft downhaul, 15 ft uphaul) for the rudder. Anyone have any advice if this is a good idea or not?

I need to replace my control line (the mast raising line) and would like to know what others have used. I was thinking again of using dyneema, possibly 8 mm. It seems that it would be strong enough. I have not worked with dyneema before and I would like to hear what others think. Thanks, Paul
Ron

Re: Line Replacements

Post by Ron »

I used dyneema on the rudder control lines. Good choice because water and sunlight have little effect on it. It's also one of the strongest lines you can get. Not sure if I'd want it on the mast raising system. Sort of slippery to hold and hard to work with (knots, etc.). Something like Stayset could be the better choice. Stayset-X, although slightly stronger, is also harder to work with and hold.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
onremlop

Re: Line Replacements

Post by onremlop »

Good to know. I have not worked with Dyneema before and wanted to know before I buy it. Most places don't have a return policy on rope already cut. Thanks for the info.