AMA removal.

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Shipbteaker

AMA removal.

Post by Shipbteaker »

Been offline for years, long story. But, I’m cleaning up the boat to sell. I need to remove the stbd ama. Pins won’t budge.
I ve taken the weight off, but sledge, pipe wrench, etc. won’t get any movement. Gemini appears non responsive. Anybody here pulled the amass by removing the stainless pins?
wooden

Re: AMA removal.

Post by wooden »

I removed my damaged ama to repair, and pounded on the forward attachment rod until I realized it was welded to the upper plate. I had to unscrew the plate from inside the boat. I am not sure if that was what you were talking about, but everything else came apart as expected. The cotter pins were not easy to remove, but the came out OK. The aft rod took some pounding to remove, but it did come out. Hope that helps.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Shipbteaker

Post by Shipbteaker »

Yes, exactly. So you were able to drive up the aft pin by knocking upwards. It’s not threaded or welded.
The forward I’m no certain what you mean by inside the boat. My boat is a few miles away so I’ll go check
My stbd ama was open and we had a lot of rain and the weight bent and tore the fiderglass struts. Also both upper bars are bent.
wooden

Post by wooden »

What I mean by inside the boat, is that the plate has screws with nuts that have to be held on the inside of the boat so that the screws can be removed, thus removing the plate. I had to pull up cover on the shelf over the sink to get to the nuts.

That was the forward rod and plate. As far as the aft rod is concerned, I can't remember (not with the boat right now), but it might have also been welded to the plate. I think that was the plate that broke on my way back from Cuba, so it is likely that the rod was welded as well. I removed the plates both fore and aft to get the rods loose and take the ama off. Sorry for the confusion.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340