Boat buying checklist

Tips and posts general maintenance.
3fold

Boat buying checklist

Post by 3fold »

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying a MK2 and looking for a list of potential issues I should lookout for or if this topic was discussed before, would be grateful if anyone can point me to that post.

Regards
Hull52

Re: Boat buying checklist

Post by Hull52 »

3fold:

I don't know if there is a checklist on the site. There are some things to check as you would on any old boat like a Mark II.

However, of particular concern on the old Telstars is the deck delaminating. I would carefully check around any openings in the deck where a deck plate was installed. That goes for the forepeak as well. Look for softness in the deck and pay close attention to water damage from the deck plates. The same goes for hardware, like the white metal chocks, that are bolted through the deck. There is a lot of damage normally around the hardware openings.

The hull is basically bullet proof, given how much fiberglass was laid in the early boats. The rigging attachment points are normally very sound, except for the forestay. The area where the forestay is attached is one of those problematic deck areas where you might experience a lot of delamination. Check it out very carefully. If you have a baby stay, make sure to check that attachment point to the deck carefully as well.

A lot of old boat owners have had problems with stress fractures in the coach roof under the mast mount. The original Mark I's had steel molded onto the glass portion of the roof. The later Mark IIs omitted this and there were some boats that had issues under stressful loads.

Carefully inspect the brackets, particularly the top brackets for the folding hulls. They tend to crack the glass under them if the hulls are not properly secured on the trailer.

The centerboard case is a common source of water leaks in the hull. Pay careful attention to the seam between the centerboard case and the hull and the pivot-point where the board is attached to the case and pivots up and down.

If your Mark II has the amas with the molded decks carefully check the seam between the hull parts.

Those are the main items I can think of off the top of my head. I check the site fairly frequently if you have any other questions.

Lou
Hull # 52
S/V Hammerhead