Side deck cracking sounds/deformation

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Bill

Side deck cracking sounds/deformation

Post by Bill »

Anybody else notice weakness in their side decks? Mine make crackling sounds when stepped on, can observe becoming concave when stepped on in one area. Length-wise cracks extend most of the middle section, an inch or two from edge. Underside box seems well enough attached, top surface seems too thin across middle. So how to fix, do I a) grind off top and add layers to thicken, requiring refinishing with antiskid or b)cut box off completely to allow building up from bottom, then tab box back together? Not really ready to tackle either job. Anybody have experience with this?
Ron

Re: Side deck cracking sounds/deformation

Post by Ron »

Seems to be a normal problem. Most, if not all of the 28's have it. The hairline cracking is usually confined to the very thin gel coat, but I suppose it could cause some structural damage given enough weight on it. I learned years ago to try to walk inboard (very close to the cabin) when stepping on or climbing up to these walkways. And maybe keep very heavy friends off if it if possible.

I bought something that may fix it - MagicEzy HairLine Fix. They also make a Chip Fix. Haven't tried either one yet. The reviews are mixed.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Bill

Post by Bill »

The area you first step on when leaving the cockpit, on the port side, was soft enough I decided to try a fix. I cut along the sides then across the top of the box structure maybe 1/4 the length off the side deck (the worst part), to expose the underside. Ground the soft area some, then added two layers of mat, 2 layers roving, one layer woven glass, using epoxy, ground off gelcoat then put box back together using two layers of woven glass on the sides, curved around the underside to add stiffness. When cured, will wash heavily, wire brush/sand and see if I can get gelcoat to stick. Maybe not perfect, but hopefully will be better than it was. Looks like someone had attempted repairs before, they did not adhere, as they did not grind off the preexisting gelcoat.
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

I had many cracks in the gelcote of my “wings.” I ground off the gelcote, laid on 17 oz. biaxial cloth with 3/4 oz matt on the top and sides, and sanded them smooth and painted them with Awlgrip. Mine are rock solid now.
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York