Structural Cracks in amas

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Ann

Structural Cracks in amas

Post by Ann »

This boat had a mysterious accident, marina claimed not to know what happened, while I was away, and there are cracks in the fibreglass now where the aluminum straps connect to the amas. Has anyone else felt with this sort of thing and how? We can post pictures later on. Thanks for any advice.
Ron

Re: Structural Cracks in amas

Post by Ron »

Is it hazing on the gel coat or a real crack in the fiberglass? Many of the boats seem to be getting this gel coat crazing. There are a few with this structural cracking as well.

In many cases, my own opinion of the structural cracking around some of the stainless brackets is that way too much friction may be present in the folding mechanism - usually the tramp slides but the 8 hinge pins as well. I spray McLube or similar onto the tramp slide tracks and the hinges at least 2 or 3 times a year or whenever the forces to open or close the hulls starts to increase - usually every 2 to 3 months. When the friction increases that much you wind up fighting the boat to open or close, and something could easily break. Once they get to their hard stops, I'll grab the winch handle and give it maybe 1/8 turn. Never force it or use the winch at any other time.

There are obviously other reasons for this - accident, sailing in heavy weather when the ama's not hard pressed on their stops, etc.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ann

Post by Ann »

The cracks are through the fibreglass itself. There are also spider cracks in the gelcoat that were not there when I bought Tri-ing. I had some work done when I was away but am not sure what was really done as the boat was in Guatemala and I was in Canada. We will have a go at some repairs, do trails in the lake here in Guatemala and ten head out to Belize, and maybe the Bay Islands of Honduras, if all goes well.
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Ann,

So sorry to hear about your ama problems. There are a few posts on the board here relating to failures in these areas. Maybe you could contact one of these owners and find out how they corrected their issues.

I do know that making sure the hinge system is in a straight line is crucial to the strength of this system. All the stainless brackets must be in line to get strength out of them.. This is adjusted by the lines that hold the tramp in place and the cable running under the tramps. Hope you understand what I am trying to describe. I would post a picture for you if I could figure out how. I use my winch as well to make sure all the slack is out of the system. It makes it very solid with no movement. When I fold and unfold my amas its done with a simple push forward on the stern of the ama and it swings easily without any issues.

I have heard of the "side deck" or part you walk on causing problems, but once again I would suggest looking at old posts to find the experts in this area.

Good luck to you and hope you get your new boat fixed and ready for sailing!!

Randy
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Ann,

So sorry to hear about your ama problems. There are a few posts on the board here relating to failures in these areas. Maybe you could contact one of these owners and find out how they corrected their issues?

I do know that making sure the hinge system is in a straight line is crucial to the strength of this system. All the stainless brackets must be in line to get strength out of them.. This is adjusted by the lines that hold the tramp in place and the cable running under the tramps. Hope you understand what I am trying to describe. I would post a picture for you if I could figure out how. I use my winch as well to make sure all the slack is out of the system. It makes it very solid with no movement.

When I fold and unfold my amas its done with a simple push forward on the stern of the ama and it swings easily without any issues. I have heard of the "side deck" or part you walk on causing problems, but once again I would suggest looking at old posts to find the experts in this area.

Good luck to you and hope you get your new boat fixed and ready for sailing!!

Randy