Hull blisters on new hull

Tips and posts general maintenance.
occasion

Post by occasion »

Launched "Occasion" in April 2008. Hauled out in October 2008. After the first season found a group of blisters in the main hull. After grinding the paint away I found that PCI had filled the area with tan colored filler. I assume that the blisters were from a bad mold process.

Have since sanded off all the hull paint and coated with 4 coats of barrier paint and 2 coats of bottom paint.
Approximately 56 manhours of labor and over a grand for materials. What a pain.

Pictures too big attached.

Bill
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Bill,

Seeing this after just picking up my boat and not even launched yet is quite a concern. The question I have is if you contacted PCI regarding it and what their reaction/resolution/advise/offered help was. I do not know where you live but I would think this is serious enough to be covered under their warrantee and worth the trailer ride back to get them to fix it. Or were you more interested in getting it fixed yourself in the way you wanted to?

Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Jerry
gary green

Post by gary green »

That is certainly a situation of deep concern. After the first season with CatNip Hull #311 I noticed blisters on the bow above the waterline. I got an estimate from my yard and contacted Performance Cruising. The manufacturer reimbursed me for the cost of the repairs as well as sent gel coat to match the Hull. I have yet to see any other problems.

gary g.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I had some problems on the amas on #341, but PCI was quick to approve the repairs and reimburse me for the work. Give them a call.
occasion

Post by occasion »

I contacted Will last fall when the blisters were first discovered. He said that they would cover the repair. I have since sent him a copy of the bill, but no response. Will have to keep pestering.

It is hard for me to believe that hull blisters are still a possibility if the lay up work is done correctly. Anyway, the general fit and finish of PCI leaves much to be desired. Disappointment grows with every new discovery. My biggest mistake was not inspecting the boat until the day it was to be trucked to my location. It pays to thoroughly inspect. Of course being a new boat owner, I didn't really know what to look for or know what to expect. Probably worth documenting all my problems for the sake of others.

Sandy
"Occasion" #368
Fairport, NY
Lake Ontario
factory_will

Post by factory_will »

To offer resolution to this post - the repairs were completed quite easily and the customer was reimbursed under warranty.
andrewm

Post by andrewm »

I also had hull construction problems on a new boat, one blister on the rudder and a void beneath the gelcoat. It was also indicated to me that costs would be covered and I sent Will a copy of the bill, but never heard anything.
Andrewm
gsbpel

Post by gsbpel »

On 7 13 09 I had an estimate done at Shumway Marine in Rochester N.Y. at the request of Will after I complained about the leaks and appearence of our hull #369. The estimate for repair of the blistering and cracks came to $9000.00 and did not include materials. I contacted Will with the results and he called Shumway Marine to verify what I have just stated. Will called me and said he would conference with Tony concerning how this should be handled. I received a call back from Will requesting me to return the boat to the factory for repairs. I took the boat back to the factory Friday morning 7 17 09. After a quick look by Will he agreed that several areas needed attention, however, Tony thought the boat looked great ! Did I say $9000.00 estimated repair cost ? Tony also said I was responsible for him making the biggest mistake of his life in producing a silver grey boat.

I found out later that Tony is going through some extremely challenging physical difficulties and I can only pray that his recovery is fast and complete.

I told Will to keep the boat as long as needed to allow the repairs to be complete and lasting. Haste makes waste and I have to wonder if that isn't the main reason for some of these problems in the first place along with the use of a little kevlar.
occasion

Post by occasion »

Just to confirm, PCI did cover the repair of my hull blisters. I did a lot of the work myself so the cost to PCI was small.

That being said, I think that PCI has a quality control problem that needs to be addressed. In this day and age I think that hull blisters should be a thing of the past. Hull blisters are a direct affect of the lay up process. The material problems that caused the hull blisters back in the 80's should no longer be a problem.

Best of luck with your boat.

Sandy
Occasion #368
Rochester, NY
gsbpel

Post by gsbpel »

Thanks for the up date: I couldn't agree with you more about the hull blisters and lay up process. I am neither capable or interested in repairing the defects due to shoulder surgeries. I bought a new boat to sail and enjoy. I could have spent a lot less on a project boat. At this point in time I question keeping 369.

It would be interesting to know how many grey boats have the degree of blistering and cracking that is such a dominating factor on 369. I know yours is grey. How many others are there? At the factory I saw 1 other grey. I feel badly for the owner and what he will be facing.

Once again thanks for the feed back,

# 369