Amas Hinges Telstar 28

Tips and posts general maintenance.
vancouver

Amas Hinges Telstar 28

Post by vancouver »

On both the Starboard and Port the forward upper hinge plate (wing) that attaches to the ama is loose. I have tightened the bolts, but they work free again. The plate was originally bedded to the ama, but that is now free. Any suggests on proper sealant for bedding and or other repair options.
Graham

Amas Hinges Telstar 28

Post by Graham »

If I remember correctly the bolts are flat head machine screws 5/16". The nuts are locking nuts. Check to see if the nuts are lock nuts or regular nuts. If regular, replace with 5/16" locking nuts and don't forget the washers. PCI pasted on all of the hardware with 5200 then used screws to hold them in place. It would be strange if you have lock nuts on the screws and they keep loosening. Lock nuts can be used over and over again until the nylon finally gives, but that takes alot of on and offs.
Mark

Amas Hinges Telstar 28

Post by Mark »

I have the same problem with the added problem that the holes through the fiberglass have enlarged allowing the ama to move in response to waves. The boat is on a lift with the amas supported in the extended position. Does any one know whether it would be safe to remove that top stainless plate, repair the fiberglass, and re-drill? Alternatively I could try drilling new holes through the stainless steel plate between the existing bolts - if I can get a hand tool to drill through it.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Bill

Re: Amas Hinges Telstar 28

Post by Bill »

I believe that the flat head screws are a big part of the problem, as they can start to rock under repetitive banging from waves, regardless of how tight the locknuts, and cause the holes to be worn to ovals, I have found especially forward where the stainless hinge strap attaches to the main hull. Working from a kayak, I pulled the screws out individually, coated with epoxy, and re-installed. Seemed to work. Tried a better fix last spring, drilled and threaded a piece of 1/4" 316 SS to make a "nut plate", which quite effectively keeps the flat head screws from rocking. No looseness observed in the screws after a summer of sailing.