Cleaning Cushions

Tips and posts general maintenance.
wingman

Cleaning Cushions

Post by wingman »

Has anyone cleaned their interior cushion covers? I called ALMO Products, who made mine, and they recommended dry cleaning, though I was not too impressed by the knowledge of the person to whom I spoke.

Seems strange that the covers would not be washable, at least in cold water, given the environment in which we used them!

If dry cleaning is the answer, has anyone used the stuff you can put in the dryer to simulate dry cleaning?

John
Mark

Cleaning Cushions

Post by Mark »

I washed the rear berth cushion covers in cold water with mild detergent; they came out fine.

Mark
wingman

Cleaning Cushions

Post by wingman »

Update.

I tried three different methods to clean my cushion covers. I washed some in cold water, the smaller ones under the cockpit and forward in the head. The covers did not shrink, but they were difficult to get back on. I decided to try the dry cleaning cloths in the dryer for the vertical cushions at the head of the bunks. That worked well. I then tried Lysol fabric spray on the main cushions on the bunks and am letting the cushions air out as the spray is scented. After two days the last still retained some smell, but should be OK after another day of airing. You do not want to close up such cushions in a hot cabin until they are well ventilated!

Based on these results, the best plan is to cover the cushions with sheets, especially in the summer when sweaty people will lie on them! I do overnight races where people do sleep below and during which yet gear gets thrown on the bunks. If you have to clean them, the dry-cleaning cloths are probably the best.

Note that the bunk cushions have extra padding in them that makes it more difficult to remove, and replace, the covers.

John