SS stern brackets

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Mark

SS stern brackets

Post by Mark »

I think someone else had this rusting problem ...

The ss bolts on my U shaped stern brackets that allow the boat to sit on the rear trailer uprights appeared to to be rusting. It turns out the U bracket is actually a partially flattened, unsealed ss pipe that can fill with water. The inside of the brackets rust and water slowly leaks through the bolt holes leaving rust streaks everywhere. I have drilled small drainage holes in the bottom of the bracket to hopefully solve the problem.

Mark
Dan

SS stern brackets

Post by Dan »

Treating the bolts and bracket with a passivating solution, like SPOTLESS STAINLESS, will also help prevent future corrosion from occurring.
Mark wrote:I think someone else had this rusting problem ...

The ss bolts on my U shaped stern brackets that allow the boat to sit on the rear trailer uprights appeared to to be rusting. It turns out the U bracket is actually a partially flattened, unsealed ss pipe that can fill with water. The inside of the brackets rust and water slowly leaks through the bolt holes leaving rust streaks everywhere. I have drilled small drainage holes in the bottom of the bracket to hopefully solve the problem.

Mark