Ama forward hinge

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Mark

Ama forward hinge

Post by Mark »

I have a load metallic sounding thump that occurs as the ama comes down off a wave. I think it is due to play in the hinge on the ama itself. I can feel a gap opening and closing where there are a bunch of steel washers just above the ama deck. Has anyone else had or fixed this problem? Presumably I could add a nylon? washer to take up the slack but I am concerned about having to dismantle the hinge to do the job. In season, I keep the boat open on a lift with the amas supported so I suppose I could lower the boat until the amas have a little bit of support and then try. A thoughts?

Mark
Ron

Ama forward hinge

Post by Ron »

Mark -

Attach a photo of where you think the noise is coming from. There are 2 long hinge pins on each aka, with large acorn nuts at the top and cotter pins in the middle and bottom. They are somewhat adjustable. Not sure which one you think is loose. This is an example - starboard, aft, inside:
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Ama forward hinge

Post by Mark »

Ron

It is the forward hinge that goes through the forward edge of the ama deck. I don't have a photo of it exactly but in photo 1 it is on the end of the vertical metal rod that can be seen disappearing behind the hull of the port ama. In the second photo, the nut at the end of the hinge is shown on the starboard ama - the washers cannot be seen as they are on the other side of the ama.

I think the noise comes from the washers (I have 3 or 4 of them) moving down with the ama as water disappears from underneath the ama as a wave passes, I know it moves but it is hard to pinpoint the sound.

IMG_0175_2.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 47 times

IMG_0171_2.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Mark
Ron

Ama forward hinge

Post by Ron »

My boat is folded up now on the lift - can't see the inside forward hinge pin. I think there is supposed to be a large cotter pin to hold these washers up (like the rear has). Check out the other side and see if it has one. Also - is there a hole drilled just under the upper hinge arm. If so, maybe the cotter pin goes in there?

My photo above shows the cotter holding up maybe 3 washers on the inside aft hinge pin.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"