Ama Wateline

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Mark

Ama Wateline

Post by Mark »

On mine the rear bulkheads in the ama go partway up with no flow through at the bottom. On mine, I know water gets in at the main hatch (past the rubber seal) and I think it then splashes into that rear area. I have been meaning to replace the hatches but haven't got around to it mainly because I couldn't find the make and model of the hatch used on more recent boats. The hatches I have, have lids that flex when stood upon and warp.

Attached is another boat showing the set of the rear floats, probably from the original pci site. It is not mine, as it has a black rubber rubbing strake all around.

Mark
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,
FYI,
I weighted the boat with an hired, certified load cell (10T capacity) (From a trucking gear supplies (See "Nobles" on the Web))
3 measurements , under jockey wheel and each set of axles.
Net total 3209Kgs less about 100kgs of tools and draw bar extension on trailer is total 3109 Kgs or 6840 Pounds. This is about 300 Pounds more than yours.
(Left axle is 80Kgs heavier than right which is the weight of the engine)
I think the readings are accurate.
The floats and two tanks in the stern are empty, but I wonder what there is or the purpose of the box just under the cockpit floor ( can be seen from the cabin and from the fuel hatch .
Could there be water in there? (would have to be rain water). There are no inspection hatch in that area.
Fred
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

Fred -

I'm surprised at the weight difference. Other than options, motor, and owner supplied gear and equipment, the boats are all built nearly the same way. But there could be a difference between the very early boats and the rest. I don't know what's in the area you described. I'll take a good look at it in the next day or two. I know mine is dry in both ama's and in the two chambers with the inspection ports under the aft bunk. Behind the aft bunk should be the tiller and it's vertical shaft, so I've got to figure out which area you're talking about.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Ama Wateline

Post by Mark »

Is the box the top of the rear berth? As a reference, when the two rear bouyancy tanks are full of water, on my boat water is lapping over the ladder hinge and the amas are submerged 2 or 3 inches at the stern.

Mark
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Mark,

Why do you have the two tanks full of water? You must have quite a leak in the hull!

Yes, I am refering to the box on top of the rear bunk. Would you know its purpose?

Tricruiser
Mark

Ama Wateline

Post by Mark »

I think the box is actually the top of the rear bunk.

I had a slow leak at the bottom of the rudder "slot" which filled both buoyancy tanks (at least in my case they are connected).

Mark
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

Haven't looked yet, but I think Mark is right. The cockpit floor should be above the rear bunk, and the box holding the tiller post is behind it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
vancouver

Ama Wateline

Post by vancouver »

If you look at the rear bunk, about halfway back the height decreases. It stays that height until it gets to the rear. It appears that this reduction represents a compartment which I assume represents a buoyancy compartment. So it is in the rear above the bunk and below the cockpit floor.

Dan does the hatch you put in the cockpit floor allow access to this area?
Dan

Ama Wateline

Post by Dan »

Yes, the hatch I installed shows that compartment is open aft to the rudder trunk, and you can actually look into it if you duck your head into the rudder trunk, which is how I found it in the first place. I'm using it as a small storage locker.

But, I also wanted access to that space since the primary tiller quadrant is located in that space. This is where the tiller stock that the tiller head is attached to and the collar that turns the outboard come down below the deck. One arm connected to this quadrant goes aft to the rudder quadrant and the another goes out to the outboard engine.
vancouver wrote:If you look at the rear bunk, about halfway back the height decreases. It stays that height until it gets to the rear. It appears that this reduction represents a compartment which I assume represents a buoyancy compartment. So it is in the rear above the bunk and below the cockpit floor.

Dan does the hatch you put in the cockpit floor allow access to this area?
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Vancouver,

I think the space I was talking about is the one you describe.
You can see it under the deck looking from the rear bank and yes it start about half way and goes right to the end of the rear bank.
Quite a volume! and that is were I am wondering if there could be water in there.

I think I am going to drill a hole in it just to check.
Tricruiser.