Ama Wateline

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

Another cold front is coming thru Florida. It won't break 60 degrees today, with 20 knots out of the north. Boat's back on the lift again. What happened to "global warming"? I'll take a photo of the stern (same angle as yours) with the ama's folded when I get back in the water and post it. I'm pretty sure mine is somewhat higher.

Have you ever weighed the boat? I did it twice over the past 3 years. Mine weighs about 4400 pounds (boat and trailer weighed 6500 pounds, less 2100 pounds for the trailer). Since yours was shipped to Australia, you might know what it weighs already. I'd be curious how the two compare. The two should weight about the same with the same motor (you do have the 20 hp, right?). I'd also make sure that you're not carrying around any water ballast in either the ama's or the stern compartments on the main hull.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,
Hope to retrieve the boat next week on his trailer to repair the rudder.
Would love to weight the whole rig too, but need to register the trailer first and that will only be possible when it has been trough a lot of work.
Width, brake on all 4, etc, but I will do it sometimes.
Actually will check the import documents might find the weight.
I think the boat must be heavy, with the mast raising system, Bimini, dodger. (That weight is in the bow side or mid-ship and should not affect the stern that much.)
There is not a drop of water in the main hull (or any fresh water either)
Will check the floats again next week.
B/RGDS
Fred
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hi Ron,

Just checked the imports documents.
The import weight was 2404Kgs. (Boat and trailer.) or 5299 Pounds.
I have added probably another 60 Kgs all up (Battery,(Bow) solar panels , Anchor windlass.(Bow)
Seem to have a discrepancy with your weight?
Fred
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hi, Ron,

Herewith another better shot clearly showing the waterline.
Fred
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

I'm hoping to get mine back in the water tomorrow. I'll take a photo of it folded then. Yours looks heavier, especially at the stern - maybe it's all of the fenders? (just a joke).
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

Here's a picture of the boat with the ama's folded. Starboard side is an inch or two out of the water. Port side is a little lower, but still out of the water. The ama's drop down perhaps 4 inches when folded.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Ron wrote:The boat is back in the water and I got the camera out. The attached picture, taken at my dock in calm water while the boat was open, shows that the aft end of the port ama is a good 5 to 6 inches out of the water. Forgot to take a picture while folded which would have shown the aft end perhaps 1 inch out of the water. The ama drops down about 4 inches when folded to improve the stability. Water never touches the gel coat (bottom paint only) in calm water, folded or open. This is with the 20 hp Honda and no heavy batteries in back. Heavier weight back there would affect the trim.
Hello Ron,

Just reviewing thoses posts.
Would you have a full picture of the boat?
What do you have on that boat ? weight?
I cannot believe how high the floats are. I really wonder if my floats are in correct position! They have so much volume and I do not understand why mine sit so low at the stern.
I am really concerned and would like to find a solution!
Fred
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

It would be hard to take a picture of the whole boat folded because it's never folded unless it's up against my dock - in the process of going on off the boat lift. Maybe I can motor it off the dock and let my wife snap a photo or two.

As far as the weight goes, I've measured it a few times on truck scales, and several others have done the same (probably mentioned on the old forum). Whole package (with trailer) is approx 6500 pounds, with the empty trailer coming in at about 2100. That includes the approx 520 pound tongue weight. Note that I had moved the trailer axles back about 3 1/2 inches to get the tongue weight over 500 (from its original 420 or so).

The net weight of the boat is therefore in the 4400 pound range, with 3 sails on board, and the Honda 20 in back. I keep absolutely nothing on board that I do not need to sail, is a legal requirement, or is needed for a current short cruise or ??. The electric fridge has enough beer only for that day or trip - and normally to be opened only after we tie up.

Your boat and trailer could not weigh 5299 pounds. If it did, the ama's would be nearly out of the water. The shipper must have used Tony's specs, which are wrong. But every builder in the world underestimates their creations. Next time you pull it out of the water, roll over a truck scale. Weigh the empty trailer first.
Ron Marcuse
gary green

Ama Wateline

Post by gary green »

I might recommend to check the insepction ports on the amas at the stern. I can not tell you how much water I have removed from that area as I continue to struggle with finding how the water is getting into the amas. I have had water at the bow, mid section and stern of the amas and have removed quite a bit of water from all three sections. This could be adding to your situation. I have the Honda 50 and some large batteries at the stern but my amas are out of the water at the stern when folded although I did raise the water line.

gary g.