Ama Wateline

Tips and posts general maintenance.
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

I moved these posts to this new topic on the 28 General Maintenance forum, from the 26 and 8M forum. Ron

Hello Ron,

Just found this topic about raising the floats.
I totally agree that they are too low at the stern.
Would it be possible to raise the stern end only? on a Telstar 28, 2006?
Same process as described above : just add a block on the bottom end of the hinge?
I am mostly concern by the low level of the float stern, the bow is so high it does not seem to matter.
B/RGDS
Fred (tricruiser)
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

Fred -

The discussion really concerns the 26 and 8's. The 28 has a totally different folding system and I'm not sure if we can block one end up with the connecting (and walkway) shelf between the two ends. Assuming it would even fit, it would also change the geometry of the system and the proportion of weight carried by the main hull vs the ama's. Raising the ama's will tend to lower the main hull.

Do you think that the aft end of the ama's on your boat are too low, and if so, by how much? The aft end of the ama's on most of the 20 hp 28's come clearly out of the water when the boat is at rest. The bottom of mine must be 3 to 4 inches above the level of the water. At speed they tend to dig in a drop, but it's still below the factory bottom paint line. Heavy batteries back there or the 50 hp Honda could lower it somewhat, but I don't believe the ama's will disappear below the water line (other than wash from a choppy sea). If yours are too low I'd try to find out why first. There could be a flooded compartment back there or ??
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,
Thanks for comments.

On my boat the floats sterns when the float are folded is about 1 1/2 inch INTO the water, and when extended they are just at the level of the water.

I only have one 20HP Honda, 2X 40W solar panels on posts(about 12Kgs all up)(will send picture in the week).
So that is not a lot less than the 50HP!

Is there a sealed buoyancy tank at the stern? I did not see any hatch in that aera. !Will check inside/outside dimensions)
B/RGDS
Fred
Jerry

Ama Wateline

Post by Jerry »

There are two buoyancy tanks that are not in the manual. They are both accessible through deck plates that are located in the space below the cockpit from the inside (behind the stairs looking aft). If you can not find them let me know and I will try for a better description or go take a photo. Some people have had problems with them (mine have been dry) that you can read about in other strings. Again I will look for which strings if you have trouble finding them.
Jerry
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Floats stern low level

Hello Jerry,

Yes, I checked the two tank under the cockpit. They are very dry, no problem there and I am still wondering what I can do to correct the float level!
By the way, we should be able to get some access to Tony Smith for advise, after all he designed those boat and could give us valuable advise. I wonder if he still check this site? may be he will post a reply!

Best regards

Fred
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

We should probably move or continue this discussion about the 28's water line to one of the other forums. This one really concerns extending the main hull on the 26 and 8 boats. OK ? Could you then post a photo of the back of the ama's? I'll do the same and we'll try to figure out the difference.

I'll move these emails later today.
Ron Marcuse
Pat Ross

Ama Wateline

Post by Pat Ross »

Ron wrote:We should probably move or continue this discussion about the 28's water line to one of the other forums. This one really concerns extending the main hull on the 26 and 8 boats. OK ? Could you then post a photo of the back of the ama's? I'll do the same and we'll try to figure out the difference.

I'll move these emails later today.

Any chance you can remove all the emails that are not related to the 26 and 8M's extention in this section over to the 28 section?

Pat
Ron

Ama Wateline

Post by Ron »

The boat is back in the water and I got the camera out. The attached picture, taken at my dock in calm water while the boat was open, shows that the aft end of the port ama is a good 5 to 6 inches out of the water. Forgot to take a picture while folded which would have shown the aft end perhaps 1 inch out of the water. The ama drops down about 4 inches when folded to improve the stability. Water never touches the gel coat (bottom paint only) in calm water, folded or open. This is with the 20 hp Honda and no heavy batteries in back. Heavier weight back there would affect the trim.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,

Whaa!!!! I Which mine was like that! I always have the impression that mine will go down from the stern!
My boat is in a pen folded at the moment and I hope to retrieve it as soon as the weather improves here (flood,storms etc!) (To fix the rudder and see if there is something I can do about the amas level (doubt it)
Will take picture folded and unfolded.
But I can say that unfolded it does not look close to yours!
Will keep it posted.
NB: if my draw br extension works well, will post a photo under Trailer.
B/RGDS
Fred
tricruiser

Ama Wateline

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,
Just posting a photo of my boat showing the stern at the pen.
You can see the port float about 1 to 2" in the water.
The starboard one is just touching the water but this is because there was a light wind pushing the boat to port side.
Normally they would be both about 1"1/2 in the drink!
Note : I do not have absolutely nothing in the space under the cockpit!
This is a "De Luxe" version, 2006 ,so I have fridge,Bimini, Dodger etc, but that weight is in the middle of the boat.
Any suggestions of the cause would be appreciated.
Tks