Rudder Post Washer

Tips and posts general maintenance.
wingman

Rudder Post Washer

Post by wingman »

Where the rudder post enters the top of the boat, just below the pin and sleeve for pining the motor to steer with the rudder, is a washer. One would have thought it to be stainless steel, but obviously mine was not and has completely rusted. It causes no damage, but looks ugly.

I took it off and went to look for a replacement. So far, I have not found any washers anywhere near large enough. Has anyone else seen this problem and, if so, did you find a replacement? I would also consider a hard nylon washer, but those are not big enough, either.

I think it is just there to keep the sleeve from gouging the gelcoat, as it is not load bearing.

John
Ron

Rudder Post Washer

Post by Ron »

John -

I've had pretty good luck finding this kind of hardware at - http://www.mcmaster.com. It's a very large hardware supply company that has millions of parts like this in stainless, grade 8, nylon, or name it. They carry just about every nut, bolt or washer ever made. Didn't have to replace mine though - PC must have had stainless washers lying around the shop that day. I did get some felt washers from them to quiet down the rest of the steering system (they stopped some of the other stainless washers from vibrating when the Honda was running).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
wingman

Rudder Post Washer

Post by wingman »

Thanks, Ron. They had the part! Of course, I had to buy 5, so if anyone else needs one, send me a stamped, self-addressed envelope!

I also have a vibration at about 3500 - 4000 RPM with the 20-HP motor. My crew and I have searched all over for the culprit. Do you have any likely offenders? I was assuming it was in the storage compartment by the motor, but could not pinpoint it.

John
Ron

Rudder Post Washer

Post by Ron »

John -

Put extra stainless washers (if needed) and a felt washer on all of the steering posts (where the quadrants and other parts pivet), in the middle of the stack if possible. The felt washer will take up the slack and quite down the stainless washers from vibrating. They sell these washers as well.
Ron Marcuse
Graham

Rudder Post Washer

Post by Graham »

John, Check the stainless rod that holds the engine sled to the hull. The rod will make the fiberglass holes eliptical (or larger) as the engine is run over time. I noticed this on a demo boat a few years ago and when I inquired about a problem I was told there was a vibration and also a slight bang when going from forward to reverse. This was caused by the fiberglass sled lifting up in the eliptical hole. A quick fix would be to make up some stainless bushings and epoxy them in the hole you could also line the stainless bushing with a smaller plastic bushing so there wouldn't be stainless on stainless friction.
Ron

Rudder Post Washer

Post by Ron »

Graham wrote:Check the stainless rod that holds the engine sled to the hull. The rod will make the fiberglass holes eliptical (or larger) as the engine is run over time.
Graham -

That could be a problem on some of the boats, but the buzzing noise at around 3500 - 4000 rpm is probably due to vibrations from a couple of loose fitting washers. Mine did the same thing at that rpm range. Putting bushings and/or sleeves on the engine sled pivet shaft is a good idea for the long haul. There could be enough room around the shaft to bolt bushings to the sled, rather than going the epoxy route. I've seen bushings like this with inset sleeves too - probably called a mounted bearing or something like that.
Ron Marcuse