Ama Retract Problem

Tips and posts general maintenance.
wingman

Ama Retract Problem

Post by wingman »

When I retract the starboard ama, the forward support for the walkway, the piece of fiberglass that rounds down and passes over the ama, now does not clear the ama. It is connecting on its back edge with the ama's top. I have pictures, but the site says that they are too big to post. I can send them to anyone who is interested.

I checked all the mechanisms and can find no obvious cause. I have not had a chance to compare it to the other ama, however. This problem occurred as I tried to retract the ama at the end of the sail. I had no problem opening the ama at the start of the sail. We sailed only a little bit at the start, as the wind was below 5 knots and there was a lot of chop due to power boats going to Annapolis to watch the Blue Angels, our mission, also. We anchored for about 4 hours waiting for the demonstration, then powered home in low wind and heavy chop. Nothing we had not experienced before.

If anyone has seen this problem before, let me know, especially if you have a fix.

BTW, I saw Tony and Will in Tony's new Telstar. It has a few new bells and whistles that you can see and more that you cannot. I will discuss it and Tony's plans in a separate post.

John
trashpad

Ama Retract Problem

Post by trashpad »

John,

Send me the photos to my hotmail if you can. Sounds like some of the mounting bolts came loose.
Gringo

Ama Retract Problem

Post by Gringo »

will be very interested in any thoughts on where Tony is going with plans for this boat in the future.
mwolf

Re: Ama Retract Problem

Post by mwolf »

Were you able to find a fix for this problem. I just had the same problem today.
Michael
wingman71

Re: Ama Retract Problem

Post by wingman71 »

No fix, just adjusted. I used a hand grinder to make the mechanism work and now I have to lift the fold-down walkway over the ama when I bring it in.

John