Ama, tramp & rudder control lines

Post by jackalope »

Hull#307 Roosevelt Lake , Arizona
I had a mouse or pack rat set up house
keeping in my tramp while on a trailer!
The ama, tramp & rudder control lines have
been destroyed. I would like to replace these
with the original white & red braided rope
(3/8" or ? mm) Does anyone know the correct size and supplier of this rope ? I can't locate
it in my catalog. Thanks for any help.
Ron

Post by Ron »

The manual calls for ama and tramp control lines at 5/16, but it measures 3/8 on my boat. Based on the varigated red and green id, mine looks like Samson LS - which is a general purpose double braided line. Not the best, but suitable for this application. Same for the rudder upper control lines - those that you can see from the cockpit. There is a good chance that they used several suppliers, so look at what you have if you want the same stuff.

After busting one of the lower rudder control lines, I replaced both with dyneema based 12 strand 5/16 single braded lines. Slightly smaller than the stock 3/8 LS, but over 4 times stronger and with much better abrasion and water resistance. It's available from several manufacturers - I happened to get the Samson Amsteel version because that's what Defender carries. They use this stuff to replace wire rigging. It's actually stronger.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

I'd second replacing the lines with a high-tech variant, like a dyneema or spectra based line. I am replacing them with a 3/8" spectra core line, which will give me both better chafe resistance and a lot more strength than the original lines. I'm also replacing the stainless steel cables that are on the amas with spectra-core line as well.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I went with the 5/16 on the lower rudder control lines because the smaller line would make it thru the various holes in the transom a little easier, but I wound up enlarging the holes anyway. I think abrasion is the main problem here and I wound up smoothing out the curved notch on the transom with a small grinder as well. I also fabricated a half rod of notched wood where the line goes through and then back out of the rudder to eliminate some of the chafing on the stainless bracket at the top of the rudder.

Spectra and dyneema are just about the same thing, but made by different companies. I would also think about replacing all of the lines on the ama with spectra or dyneema when they eventually wear out. More so because this fiber won't absorb water and it floats.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I am going with SS on the lower rudder control lines. I also changes the way the rudder control clutches are installed. I noticed that the lines exit at a bit of an angle so I made an angled mounting block out of Starboard for the clutches to sit on.
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

Now I know why PCI went with rope and not SS cable in the rudder. What a pain to connect.
gary green

Post by gary green »

Do yourself a favor as I did when I had to repair a broken rudder line. Thread in a small second sender line that will follow the one you are replacing. I have one end tied to the aft ladder and the other inside the fuel locker. Should my system fail again it is very easy to thread a new line through the blocks that you can hardly see for the rudder system. I also did the ame thing through the cabin sole when I relocated one of my 4D batteries to the front of the boat. If I have to add any wiring or plumbing through the cabin I already have a line to pull it through.

gary g.
Last edited by gary green on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: